Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk

Need to break this partnership very quickly

Thought Braceys decision was the worst of the match. Briggs only decided to appeal after everyone else went up. With how hard he played the shot and how much it bounced there’s no way it could have hit bat or even glove, was pretty high up the arm.
The problem is now, in every innings there’s been an early clatter of wickets and then it gets easier to bat after 20 or so overs.

Bracey got a stinker.

Another match where we get ourselves into a good position but cannot take advantage, typifies the season really.

Oh well, the second division isn't too bad and we will get a few more local matches to go to.

Unfortunately the players and management seem to have the same attitude

Our club seems to have a meh attitude

If we go down, do we get first dibs on Colwyn Bay?

Yes, 'Meh' sums it up. Stupid team selection and whatever team is selected, they seem to throw away so many good positions. Injuries haven't helped but you wonder if having a full-strength side would make a difference. The side from 2016-17 were full of 'Great' Warwickshire players and still we struggled during that period. I think we will bounce back straight away and my tone means I have given up already but once we are down, we need a decent selection committee when it comes to actually picking a side.

A good start would be to sign some dependable bowlers who do not have a track record of getting injured for large parts of a season. I don't know where the rumours about OHD leaving came from but if they are true then we are really are in trouble and getting out of Division 2 could not be taken for granted.

Farbrace ,Sibley ,Hose and Stone hang your heads in shame

These are about our level. They enjoyed a good season in 2019 being promoted and beat us in the COVID 2020 season. Did okay in 2021 too.

I think getting promoted will be challenging especially if Warwickshire are barmy enough to vote through 1 up 1 down from 2024 onwards. There'll likely be no promotion at all in 2023. Bouncing straight back might not be possible

Some good grounds to visit next season including plenty of outgrounds hopefully

Fair play to Jayant, he is at least making it semi-interesting at the death

And there it is, another defeat and a game that about sums up our season, just not good enough.

Serious investigation into what has gone wrong needed and a plan of attack for the future required. We lose Sibley over the winter so have got an opening batsman who can score runs to find in his place and in place of Yates who has been frankly dreadful.

Much to do for the powers that be as this season has been far from acceptable.

Losing in 3 days is what happens when you play a motivated side with just 8 players.

Gone down to 8 players now?! Was 9 on Tuesday...

Administrator

Just looking at the table now and I find it bizarre that we have one of the highest bowling bonus points totals, only 3 behind the top, and our batting bonus points are comparable to the teams around us as well. I guess that reflects the fact that we just haven’t been able to perform at a good level for four days in a row.

Can you honestly say that Yates, Sidebottom or Davies actually made useful contributions?

I haven't rated Davies much this season but surely his 60 in second innings was a worthwhile contribution or have you conveniently forgotten that?

If the Strauss review were to be agreed with a Division 1 of 6 teams in 2024, then Division 2 in 2023 might not be a bad place to be on the assumption that the 2024 division will be made up of the top 5 from the 2023 division 1 and the champions of division 2….

Highveld wrote:

Can you honestly say that Yates, Sidebottom or Davies actually made useful contributions?

No mate I agree, i just being a bit silly.

The club have 2 ways to react to this for next season.

1. They can implement wholesale changes which would (some would say should) include Rhodes being relieved of the captaincy, Davies being offered out to other counties, Sidebottom being let go, Miles & Norwell being let go so that we can bring in some fit younger bowlers/give our own young bowlers a chance, make Benjamin, Bethel, Mousley, E Brookes & Johal regular 1st team starters, get rid of the batting coach and replace Farbrace with a forward thinking, inventive coach who understands cricket in 2023.
  2. We can make a couple of key changes but retain the majority of our squad in the hope that we go straight back up and that players like Briggs, Davies, Yates and Norwell can repeat form that either bought them to the club or helped win the title just last season.

Personally, I will be unhappy if we do not see a good number of the young players mentioned above being given starts in division 2. I would not be unhappy to see Briggs, Sidebottom, Davies and even Rhodes moved on.