Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk

He's getting paid almost 500k to be a net bowler, he's not going to give that up to come back and play in the championship

Don't think anybody is suggesting otherwise. There's definitely lots of people who seem to not realise he's at the IPL though, been a few times he's been mentioned on the live stream and the commentary team have assumed him to be resting or injured. Pretty poor really.

Super Moderator

Cricinfo are reporting that Chris Woakes won't be in England's provisional squad for the T20 World Cup.

I think he will just play home tests now, maybe the odd game overseas depending on conditions.

Yes he's pretty much said himself he won't be involved in overseas Tests anymore. Not making the T20 squad is pretty big though, if that transpires his IPL assignment will end on May 19th as its looking unlikely that his team will make the eliminator phase and fingers crossed he'll be back with us, needing games, and with a point to prove. Right? Right?!

If his team are unlikely to qualify, are they just keeping him there on a 'We have paid for him so he will have to stay here for now' basis. If he does gat picked for a Test squad, he will be rusty having had little cricket for months. Cannot believe that they have picked Archer and the overrated Jordan, a bowler who can barely get on the pitch and one who isn't consistent enough but seems to be lucky to put in the odd performance when there is a tv camera about in 'The Hundread'.

We've 3 4day games between the expected end of his IPL stint and the 1st Test, surely he'll feature for us in at least 1?

Administrator

I wouldn’t put it past the ECB to deny him the opportunity to play for us and then expect him to go into the test squad fully firing.

I think it might be time to move on from Woakes at international level. He won't be going to the ashes or even Pakistan/NZ so I think it is probably time to look at likes of Potts/Atkinson

I would hope this would mean Woakes plays a few seasons for Warwickshire but more than likely would see him at Big Bash/IPL and other t20 leagues

Administrator

I wonder if he’ll be picked up at the next IPL and beyond, given he hasn’t played this time around and is now out of the England squad as well?

Super Moderator

From the Club statement about Hasan Ali:
"Chris Woakes will be back with us later this month so he comes back into contention for both red and white ball games.”

That will be a serious upgrade with both bat and ball.