According to the BBC Jake Weatherald will join Warwickshire as an overseas player next season.
According to the BBC Jake Weatherald will join Warwickshire as an overseas player next season.
Interesting, I know very little about him apart from the stats I have just looked at on Cricinfo.
Jake Beath Weatherald
https://www.cricinfo.com/cricketers/jake-weatherald-781285
I presume that the assumption is that he won't be part of the Ashes squad - unless he is only going to play early season, which would be a nice acclimatisation for him.
I can remember, though can't now find, some talk after he got dropped from the Test side, that he had lots of feedback and needed to go back to FC cricket and prove his case to come back, that was about six to nine months ago. I would say the status quo is he won't get picked, but if he plays well in FC he might be called up for injury or whatever. For us, I think that's good, he will be motivated. Some other England fans will grumble I bet. I think this is OK but not sure Beau Webster should be given this privilege as a likely Aussie test starter. Warks really would be acclimatising an England opponent in this scenario.
Back to Weatherald, he was actually playing Div 1 for Leicester earlier in the season and he had some good scores. Might already be ready in UK conditions.
This was announced last month.
https://www.edgbaston.com/media-article/bears-sign-australian-opener-weatherald-for-2027-season
Yeah old news this.