Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk

Yates, Rhodes and Miles back? Might need to get a Miles a rest?

The video interview with Mark Robinson last night suggest that Rhodes and Yates were certain to play. Miles will depend on his fitness after the game at Durham.

Highveld wrote:

The video interview with Mark Robinson last night suggest that Rhodes and Yates were certain to play. Miles will depend on his fitness after the game at Durham.

Who will drop out from Cardiff? Obviously, Benjamin, replaced by Yates. Who for Rhodes - Chaprakani? If Miles is fit, I'd definitely drop Garrett - he's done nothing this season. If Miles is out, I'd give Bulpitt a go.

"You can take the boy out of Atherstone, but you can never take Atherstone out of the boy !"
"The Bears and the (footballing) Foxes for ever !"

Live scores etc link https://live.nvplay.com/ecb/#m2ef16a2a-a99a-4cf0-95b8-b16853f3b30d

Rhodes & yates replace Benjamin and Garrett.

Everyone's been OK apart from Sidey so far. Impressed with Johal, he looked threatening and pacy.

Pretty much a trouncing by Notts - 86 runs. Yates, the pick of the batsmen with a ton and decent 30's from Rhodes and Lamb, but the lack of experience in the youngsters shone through, with only Bethell showing anything (20). Brookes, Chakrapani and van Vollenhoven, all out in single figures.

"You can take the boy out of Atherstone, but you can never take Atherstone out of the boy !"
"The Bears and the (footballing) Foxes for ever !"

I think until we can get a couple of our injured guys back (Mousley must be close? He helps) we're just gonna have to put this down to experience. Very strong Notts team today even with the players they have missing due to the Blundred.

Yates excellent, he always looks booked in. Rhodes (straight) and Lamb (over extra cover) played some pleasing strokes. Johal showed some promise with the ball. Rhodes got his yorker in at the death.

What did we think to Slaters catch for Rhodes dismissal?!

Photos on twitter show that his foot was on the rope. I was convinced it was ok 🤷‍♂️

Yes at the time I thought it was clean. That still shot of him on the rope is damning though. The match turned on that.

Still a terrible collapse - last 6 wickets for 11 runs?

Prime summer and it just feels like a huge anti climax..

Real shame

The catch was definitely over the rope. Poor from the fielder to even try and claim it, but that’s Notts for you.
Unfortunately I’m not surprised the umpire who was relatively close didn't spot it, because the standard of domestic umpires has been abysmal for some time.

The issue is, we’ve not only lost to the injury and the hundred. We’ve lost players like Hose to the hundred, but they’ve gotten injured and we’ve then lost another player to replace him. I believe Hain was an injury replacement too.
We just seem to have been disproportionately effected.

Hain was a 'Wildcard' pick for the Hundred. I note he's not even featured for his Hundred ball team yet which just adds to the frustration.

ajones1328 wrote:

Prime summer and it just feels like a huge anti climax..

Real shame

Agree with this particularly the first couple of hours our bowling looked so pedestrian it wasn't their fault of course love Yates appetite but when you have him opening the bowling you wonder what the hell has happened to this game of ours. Did very well to keep their score down towards the end they looked set for 350-360. Began quite well too with the bat but you knew there was a collapse around the corner our first XI is prone to that so our 2nds/3rds mix and match side we have at the moment would also struggle to reset and rebuild. Shame again for Yates now needs to focus on not panicking when he gets to 100 and not get too fixated by the match situation and chuck his wicket away of course would help if he had some experienced heads around him out there but once Rhodes had gone that was a big turning point. Credit to Notts very professional job done with the ball in those middle overs slowing the score and forcing our youngsters to panic/go big

I think we'll get a couple of wins in this group hopefully starting Tuesday at Derby but I had a feeling a couple of weeks ago we'd really struggle in this format this year which continues our patchy at best record in white ball cricket now going back several years. In a way I don't mind them using these games to rest the senior bowlers for later in the season although it's mostly been enforced rest. The likes of OHD, Brezzie, Miles etc... could get us close to 3rd spot if available all group stage but probably good to have them rested for T20 QF and Division One duties and accept we're going to be 5th to 7th at best

Super Moderator

Probably the first time in my (long) life that I've seen the Bears lose two matches in four days.
I thought that Haseeb Hameed and Yates scored equally composed centuries, though Hameed had better support than Yates.
Based on their batting techniques, I think I'd rather have the two of them opening for England in the first Test against India ahead of both Dom Sibley or Rory Burns, though I accept that it's too soon for Yates to make the step up and we could do with him scoring his runs for the Bears for a bit longer,