Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk

Back at it tomorrow. Same XI? Weather worries?

Super Moderator

Bearing in mind that Sidebottom went off part way through the Notts innings and then batted with a runner, I fear that we may need to add him to the walking wounded list. The situation with quick bowlers is almost as bad as it was two years ago. I know that Paul Farbrace said that he was changing the training routines to avoid the same problems arising but it doesn't seem to have worked too well.
As for the weather, the pessimist in me thinks that the main worry is that the predicted storms will hold off and won't save the Bears from another defeat. But let's hope that the sun and the Bears both shine tomorrow.

GerryShedd wrote:

Bearing in mind that Sidebottom went off part way through the Notts innings and then batted with a runner, I fear that we may need to add him to the walking wounded list. The situation with quick bowlers is almost as bad as it was two years ago. I know that Paul Farbrace said that he was changing the training routines to avoid the same problems arising but it doesn't seem to have worked too well.
As for the weather, the pessimist in me thinks that the main worry is that the predicted storms will hold off and won't save the Bears from another defeat. But let's hope that the sun and the Bears both shine tomorrow.

So, if Sidey is out, then it's Miles, if fit, or Bulpitt? I don't think Ryan is really cut out for white ball, so I'd be happy with CM or Bulpitt. The former is predictable, but uninspiring, the latter COULD be a game changer. I am so looking forward to seeing a left arm seamer again turn out for us. I keep saying it, Giles's willingness to let Keith Barker go, was one of the biggest tragedies for us in recent times!

Even though losing 2 matches out of 8 is likely to mean we'll miss out on a top 4 in the RLC, I do think a win tomorrow or Friday is vital, if the teams confidence is to be regained - and particularly needed for the youngsters, who have been thrown in at the deep end. I really hope the likes of Johal, KvV, Bethell and Brookes, who have shown such promise in many Seconds games this season, won't be judged too quickly on their performances in these RLC matches, which are as much a disaster for older and wiser heads in the squad (with a couple of honourable exceptions, like Rob Yates).

I agree, the weather could be a big downer for tomorrow, not a good forecast.

"You can take the boy out of Atherstone, but you can never take Atherstone out of the boy !"
"The Bears and the (footballing) Foxes for ever !"

Super Moderator

I agree that we are still missing Keith Barker - not just his left arm bowling but also his contributions with the bat, usually from number 8 in the order.
Although I don't know the full story, I am aware that Keith Barker had personal reasons for wanting to move to Hampshire that were nothing to do with either Giles or the club.

Yes there was more to the Keith Barker situation than met the eye so to speak. Moving on...

Live Stream https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W69-q_oMyxE

Live scores https://live.nvplay.com/ecb/#ma9af5995-edac-40c4-b781-df4e9a2dc8ef

12 man squad:-

Rhodes, Bethell, E Brookes, Bulpitt, Burgess, Carver, Garrett, Johal, Lamb, Pollock, van Vollenhoven and Yates.

Sidebottom injured and Chaprakani got exams!

I guess we'll see Bulpitt & Carver in and KvV might get another chance, with Garrett as 12th man - though that will depend on a view on whether the wicket will be better for spin or seam (and of course Kiel is a far better batsman than George).

"You can take the boy out of Atherstone, but you can never take Atherstone out of the boy !"

Super Moderator

Start delayed.

The covers are moving!

Super Moderator

Generally around the country, the weather seems to be a bit better than forecast so there must be hope for a game even if the overs have to be reduced.

Bald_Reynard wrote:

12 man squad:-

Rhodes, Bethell, E Brookes, Bulpitt, Burgess, Carver, Garrett, Johal, Lamb, Pollock, van Vollenhoven and Yates.

Sidebottom injured and Chaprakani got exams!

I guess we'll see Bulpitt & Carver in and KvV might get another chance, with Garrett as 12th man - though that will depend on a view on whether the wicket will be better for spin or seam (and of course Kiel is a far better batsman than George).

Play has started, we won the toss and (naturally, given the extreme likelihood of rain later), chose to bowl. The match is already reduced to 45 overs.

Garrett is in, rather than KvV. Bulpitt and Carver also make their Bears 1st team debuts.

Super Moderator

I was confused at first because Cricinfo currently has only nine men in the Bears' team - hopefully they will put that right.
It will be interesting to see how Bulpitt and Carver fare. I am pleased that Bethell stays in the team because he looks like a real talent to be nurtured.

GerryShedd wrote:

I was confused at first because Cricinfo currently has only nine men in the Bears' team - hopefully they will put that right.
It will be interesting to see how Bulpitt and Carver fare. I am pleased that Bethell stays in the team because he looks like a real talent to be nurtured.

Pollock, Yates, Rhodes, Lamb, Bethell, Brookes, Burgess, Carver, Johal, Garrett and Bulpitt.

We don't bat very long with that lineup - pretty much stopping at 7. I hope Derby don't set a big target or our early batters (finally) get a few runs - and quickly, given how much the overs are likely to be reduced even more.

I'd think Bethell is well ahead of where they expected on his development due to injuries and covid etc.

Hopefully KVV gets another chance before the competition finishes.

Too many wide balls from both opening bowlers.

We've used 27 overs of spin.

Quite effectively too. All 3 spinners were efficient.

Yes they all bowled well in tandem.

Wow, this would be a really good performance if the target is reached, not looking bad so far.

A good win, and delighted that Ed Pollock played a really sensible innings for his first List A century today.
Hopefully it goes a big way to silencing those who doubt his ability.

Pollock is always capable of a big score, the problem being there isn’t the consistency to follow it up.

Always pleased when players, and the team, perform.