Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk
Super Moderator

Sorry to hear of his passing. He was an outstanding player. And although he was much maligned when he was Chairman of Selectors, he was well ahead of his time in advocating ideas such as four day county cricket, full time contracts and England A team tours.
It's sometimes a shock to realise that the heroes of your youth have grown old. I was lucky enough to be invited to a book launch at the House of Lords a couple of years ago and spotted a stooped old man who looked slightly familiar. It took me quite a while to work out that it was Ted Dexter, looking quite frail and not at all the "Lord Ted" that I remembered.
Anyway, I have happy memories of him in his prime and may he rest in peace.

It's stretching my memory to its limits to recall much of Dexter but I do remember that a "balanced attack" in those days was Trueman and Statham, a couple of spinners and Dexter as first change. His bowling style was very definitely medium - there was no MF or FM about it. I'm trying to think of someone comparable today but I think they're all too quick. Will Rhodes? Maybe Darren Stevens? Very different days to now when England won't start a game without four FM bowlers.

Super Moderator

I would say he was quite lively as a bowler - Will Rhodes would be about right. But it probably depended a bit on what mood he was in.