Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk

cricinfo news story

Ed looks like he's going to New Road.

He'd be a really good signing for Worcestershire, and hopefully they will give him a chance in red ball cricket too.

Always disappointing when a home produced player leaves, but hopefully he goes on to have great success with Worcestershire.

Super Moderator

I have thought for a while that his best bet would be to move to another "lesser" county so I think this could be a good move for him. When he wasn't picked for the quarter final, the writing was on the wall.

It’s a shame but realistically, with the emergence of Benjamin and the signing of Davies, he was going to struggle getting into the T20 side. At that point, it’s harsh to say, but why keep him around if he’d only ever compete to play on the 50 over comp?

He has struggled to find the consistency required, a good score every 5 games or so so it’s no surprise.

That being said I was surprised he wasn’t picked for the quarter final, especially as Yates hadn’t a great record.

To be honest though I don’t see much difference between himself and Hose.

Think Hose could also be struggling at some point. He's 29 in October and nowhere near the 4day side.

Andy wrote:

Think Hose could also be struggling at some point. He's 29 in October and nowhere near the 4day side.

I agree - he hasn't been the signing we anticipated. He's never going to be anywhere near the red ball team - and even in white ball, he hasn't pulled up any daisies ! Injuries have also impacted - much more so than other batsmen. I would guess management might give him 1 more season, to prove he can perform regularly - depending on the length of his contract (does anyone know ?) - but if he is out of contract, I would release him.

"You can take the boy out of Atherstone, but you can never take Atherstone out of the boy !"
"The Bears and the (footballing) Foxes for ever !"

Annoyance is the first emotion that comes to mind with this news. Shame to let someone of his entertainment value go, but I can't make an argument in runs scored for his retention. I guess my annoyance is that for all his apparent skills he hasn't really improved and I think this is the clubs coaching fault. England had the same problem with Jason Roy at one stage (ie asked to score so quickly they are more susceptible to loss of form) but they managed to still improve him overall.

In recent years can anyone name a batsmen who has improved consistently?

In my time as a member, around 8 years, our batting unit has always been the weak link.

Sibley and Rhodes both have got better since they joined us. We do get a lot of academy bats graduate, find elite cricket too much, then get released, which is just life independent of coaching. But Pollock seemed to get established and then plateau or even get worse. I think we can bring on one batsmen a year with current resources, perhaps attention is more with Benjamin and perhaps Lamb this year.

Streetly_Bear wrote:

In my time as a member, around 8 years, our batting unit has always been the weak link.

Tayls79 wrote:

Sibley and Rhodes both have got better since they joined us. We do get a lot of academy bats graduate, find elite cricket too much, then get released, which is just life independent of coaching. But Pollock seemed to get established and then plateau or even get worse. I think we can bring on one batsmen a year with current resources, perhaps attention is more with Benjamin and perhaps Lamb this year.

Streetly_Bear wrote:

My question for that would be, when did we last have a really good batting overseas? I can't think of one for a while, and what I've always seen from not only Warwickshire but other clubs, is that it's hard to have a consistently good batting line-up without a really good overseas. Because the best domestic batsmen either get picked for England, the Lions and often move clubs.
If you don't have that, then you need consistent and experienced players in their prime who for whatever reason aren't involved with England. Because those more experienced players and the overseas provide great learning and performance opportunities for younger, talented players. Without them, it takes more time or even prevents, younger players meeting their potential and the standard required. The club need to give younger players the platform from which to perform, and I think in terms of batting, in both the senior player department and the coaching, I don't think many of those players have been helped.

I believe Sibley sought the help of an outside coach after struggling when he first came here and it was only then that he started to score on the county circuit.

Has Rhodes improved or has he just had more opportunity? I don’t think he has had a particularly strong season (cue a match winning performance today and tomorrow).

The coaching is and has for a while been an issue. I wondered when they were all retained, if the backroom staff are essentially in a trial year, and if they perform then they'll stay. As Robinson can only do so much himself.
But I do know that a number of players have gone externally for coaching, Hose and Hain have gone externally for batting coaching in the past. I believe Burgess arranged for Michael Yates the ex-Hampshire keeper to be brought in to do some keeping sessions with him.
Plus I know the rumour around the local club circuit from those who know, is that there have been grumbles about Tony Frosts work ethic, and that he isn't particularly helpful or flexible in regards to players asking for him to come and work with them on days off, or before mandated training sessions.

Ed is 75NO in a RED ball game - playing for the 2nd's in their Championship match at Southampton. Perhaps there is a chance he might get a contract extension ! It is amzing he's given so few run outs in red ball games - there might be decent Championship batsman there, we'll never know. I'd hate it if he went to New Road and 'did a Libby' on us - ie show his old club what they were missing !

'The only good banker, is the Lickey Banker!'

Administrator

Confirmed as having signed for Worcestershire:

https://wccc.co.uk/big-hitting-ed-pollock-returns-to-worcestershire-on-two-year-contract/

Good luck to him. He may very well end up doing great for them. He was never gonna be anymore than a t20 opener for us though, and he was hanging onto that by a thread. Davies will be opening next year and Yates has so much more upside all round than him.

Worcestershire might use him down the order to replace the departing Ross Whiteley.

Nice to see Ed scoring 112 today!