Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk

Looked as if he was home to me but why on earth were we running a very tight second there? Suicide.

Shambles

All over, that was fairly abysmal.

Administrator

What a joke. Yates, Briggs and Norwell all got shocking decisions that have cost us that game, and probably any chance of the title.

Three iffy decisions didn't cost us that game. Our 1st innings batting and letting Hants go from 173 for 7 to 322 all out cost us the game.

Administrator

But without the three iffy decisions we probably would have won the game, so I’d argue that they did…

Nah, if you have a go at the umpiring you also have to have a go at our poor play. Mistakes everywhere you look.

coolerking wrote:

Three iffy decisions didn't cost us that game. Our 1st innings batting and letting Hants go from 173 for 7 to 322 all out cost us the game.

That's where I am at with it. Not good enough from us.

Same old wheels flying off. Same old excuses (decisions went against us, injuries, inexperience, better next year). Rinse and repeat in 12 months.

We did a lot right in that game (our bowling and fielding in the first innings of the game was magnificent) but took our eye off the ball in two or three sessions which cost us dearly. We don't have truly outstanding players so have to rely on everyone playing their part and we had a couple of passengers in this game.

Exiled Bear wrote:

What a joke. Yates, Briggs and Norwell all got shocking decisions that have cost us that game, and probably any chance of the title.

Hain and Burgess also both seemed to be very unhappy about caught behind decisions in this match.

I’d definitely say that Bresnan would have been significantly more helpful than Holder in that match too.
Someone mentioned passengers above, it’s considerably alarming that all season in the championship, that our overseas players have been passengers. That is the exact opposite of their purpose. Farbrace needs to have a serious look at himself and his ability to attract top overseas talent.

Administrator

I agree about Bresnan, he should definitely come in for Holder next match.

Bresnan would surely have offered more than Holder. He looked very raw - even some of his thrown returns to Burgess were very poor. Will Rhodes be fit for Headingley? I’m still most disappointed with Sibley and to an extent, Benjamin. However, Hampshire bowled very well. Well done Keith Barker.

BristolBear wrote:

Exiled Bear wrote:

Hain and Burgess also both seemed to be very unhappy about caught behind decisions in this match.

I’d definitely say that Bresnan would have been significantly more helpful than Holder in that match too.
Someone mentioned passengers above, it’s considerably alarming that all season in the championship, that our overseas players have been passengers. That is the exact opposite of their purpose. Farbrace needs to have a serious look at himself and his ability to attract top overseas talent.

I agree with all that BB. The Championship Overseas signings have been a complete shambles this season. Either no ability (Holder), no form (Vihari), or only found form at the end of his stay (Malan). And we desperately needed some quality, to help a very inexperienced squad, especially with the batting - the likes of Lamb, Mousley and Yates need help.

The way the bowlers have been handled hasn't been good either. We know injuries have been significant, but the constant tinkling with the lineup of fit players, hasn't helped. How many times has Bresnan been in and then dropped again (notably in the last 2 games)?

I'm at a total loss - I think Farb is too!

"You can take the boy out of Atherstone, but you can never take Atherstone out of the boy !"
"The Bears and the (footballing) Foxes for ever !"

Administrator

At least we got the T20 overseas signing right this season (apart from him not being available for the quarter-final, but that's often the case). Hopefully international travel will have opened up more by next season so it'll be easier to get a top quality international batsman for the Championship.

Administrator

The reaction of some of our "fans" (particularly on Facebook) when we lose is bizarre. They seem to expect us to win every game and think it's a failure otherwise. Sure, we probably should have won this game, and the batting at times was poor, but we've qualified for the first division and are going into the last two matches with a decent chance of winning the Championship, which is far above my expectations for the season!

Exiled Bear wrote:

... and are going into the last two matches with a decent chance of winning the Championship, which is far above my expectations for the season!

It's only a couple of hours ago you were saying that umpiring had probably cost us any chance of the title.

Exiled Bear wrote:

The reaction of some of our "fans" (particularly on Facebook) when we lose is bizarre. They seem to expect us to win every game and think it's a failure otherwise. Sure, we probably should have won this game, and the batting at times was poor, but we've qualified for the first division and are going into the last two matches with a decent chance of winning the Championship, which is far above my expectations for the season!

The reaction on social media whenever we lose is always absolutely crazy.

Massive disappointment but if you fail to 'Clean-up' when the opposition is 7 down, then you will always make it difficult for yourself. We didn't make the most of getting them out for 89 and perhaps were looking for 'Demons' in the pitch and not for the first time, we make an average Hampshire look good.

Infuriating to see Notts at the top. last time we had a 'proper' county season in 2019, Notts were relegated with a terrible record of played 14, lost 10 and drawn 4. I wonder how Northants and Gloucester are feeling after they were promoted in 2019.