Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk
Super Moderator

George has announced on Twitter that he has resigned from ESPN Cricinfo.
He has been a great supporter of county cricket, often a thorn in the side of the ECB and, though he sometimes denies it, very much a Bear at heart.
I hope he soon finds a new home for his writing because county cricket needs him.

I hope he is snapped up soon by another media outlet. I really enjoy his viewpoint.

I must say he is my favourite cricket journalist, just ahead of Atherton. George writes with crickets best interests at heart with genuine logic and reason, and a great sense of integrity. Today the integrity part is even more crucial, as you get ex players willing to say and do anything to get a job in a franchise competition and get paid, even if it hurts the game.

Administrator

"Different visions for the future and different journalistic values", strong words. Doesn't bode well for the future of Cricinfo. His were always the articles I'd look out for on there, but I'm sure he won't have problems finding work elsewhere (maybe not for the ECB though!)

A first class writer with forthright, independent opinions that are invariably spot on. That doesn't always make you popular and I would be fearful that he might end up sidelined for a while. Hurry back. We need our scented candles and whale music more than ever.

I agree, GD is a writer who speaks about the game as a fan first and his sticking up for the CC, cricket at weekends and the ridiculous fixture lists, means that I know we have people on our side rather then the Vaughan's and Tuffnel's of this world who just care about clever soundbites and only the really showpiece events. He will have no problem getting more writing opportunities along with his great column in 'The Cricketer'.

Super Moderator

The fact that he is Chair of the Cricket Writers' Club shows how highly regarded he is by his peers.

My interpretation of this is George can get a far more impressive portfolio while not shackled to Cricinfo. He's outgrown it basically. I know freelancers who write the match reports on there, it's not a huge amount of cash. Good luck to him, I've noticed he's very responsive on twitter so I think we won't be hearing any less from him.

Super Moderator

George has taken an expanded role with The Cricketer which should make it required reading from now on:
https://www.thecricketer.com/Topics/news/george_dobell_to_join_the_cricketer_staff_across_print_and_digital.html

Wonder if The Cricketer are planning to expand their digital offering to try and challenge Cricinfo. There seems to be an increasing level of criticism that they are in the BCCI's pocket and therefore heavily biased in their coverage so there could well be a gap in the market for an alternative.

https://youtu.be/00eHamkT7Q4

Well worth watching

Dobell finishes at Cricinfo today and is clearly saving a few things for when he starts his Cricketer appointment

Good on him. Proper old school journalism well trained at B'ham Post & Mail following on from Jack Bannister. Highly regarded now. I recall the days when Sky would avoid having him on that all-so-pally Cricket Writers tv show on Sunday mornings (a handful of times at best)

Basically because they didn't like uncomfortable truths he had to say. Incredible piece of journalism this as with the Trotty piece and no doubt the 'Yorkshire mafia' will be after him. Too many of that lot high up in the ECB and media to be all that confident that things will change for the good up there. I hope for Yorkshire's sake they bite the bullet and instigate wholesale changes. Think of all the talent that's been missed up there last twenty years - and elsewhere tbf

Wow! Magnificent interview and so refreshing to listen to somebody who is simply and obviously telling the truth.