Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk

I'd heard rumours that we had been talking to Shaheen Afridi, about an Overseas berth next season. Farbs and MR have identified a need for a Seam bowler - preferably left arm - and he fitted (and his Edgbaston links through the 100 helped). However, he couldn't commit to a full Championship season because of International requirements and so we pulled out. He's signed for Middlesex now - playing in the Championship and T20 until mid July.

'The only good banker, is the Lickey Banker!'

He would have been ideal, genuine pace and can get the old ball reversing too.

I believe we'll struggle to get someone quality to be available for all formats all season. Happy to be proved wrong though.

Interesting the club appear to have learnt the lessons of last season, get an overseas here all year or not at all. 3 or 4 games here or there are pointless.

Think we should be looking at the Australian or NZ market

Huge amount of talent in Australia with fast bowlers even outside of the top 5-6 bowlers

Wagner in NZ would be awesome signing but not sure if he would be available for vast chunk of season

Carlos has been confirmed for the whole of the T20 campaign and as captain. I think that’s a good move, he is very experienced and seems to have got on well with the squad. Will be interesting if we also try to sign another player closer to the campaign starting.

Super Moderator

I agree that this is good news:
https://edgbaston.com/news/bears-secure-brathwaite-return-as-t20-captain/

I wonder whether our Championship and 50 over Overseas player will be either Cameron Green or Jhye Richardson:-

https://edgbaston.com/news/warwickshire-appoint-mason-and-sheikh-in-new-bowling-coach-roles/

I guess we will now be looking at a bowler / all rounder to replace Bresnan. The fact that the WCCC website highlights the work Matt Mason has done with Green and Richardson, could mean they're lining one of them up for the Overseas berth ? In any event, I wouldn't be surprised if the Overseas player comes from the Western Australia / Perth Scorchers squad, aided by Mason's recruitment.

"You can take the boy out of Atherstone, but you can never take Atherstone out of the boy !"
"The Bears and the (footballing) Foxes for ever !"

Joel Paris would be my choice of the WA bowlers. Left arm seamer (which we've desperately needed since Barker left), with a decent First Class and One Day average. Equally important, he's not a bad batter - going in at 7 or 8 and having got a First Class century. A ready made replacement for Bresnan ?

'The only good banker, is the Lickey Banker!'

If available, Marco Janssen, the tall South African all rounder would be an excellent signing.

Jansen will be at the IPL. Mumbai Indians I think...

Jason Behrendorff would be my Western Australia pick. An outright bowler - but that 'leftie' many feel we need. Experienced (31), with a good record in red and white ball. Played for Sussex in 2019 (T20), so some knowledge of English conditions - though one downside, is that his stint there was cut short, because of a back injury. I don't know his injury record since.

"You can take the boy out of Atherstone, but you can never take Atherstone out of the boy !"

Not sure what others have heard. But as winter nets and the inevitable pre-season chat starts to build up this time of year, I’m hearing growing rumours that the club are considering no overseas for red ball.
Nothing set in stone, but from what I’ve heard, they want to avoid similar issues to last year. The club are willing to spend the money, but only on someone who is worth it.

I think that's entirely fair too. Start the season with the guys who are already here, the champions.

And if we're struggling we can maybe look at things.

Only get quality in though. No average punts like Malan or Holder. I suspect Vihari is ok but just not in early season conditions. He's not quality though.

Rumour has it Farbs is keen for an all-rounder to replace Bresnan, and get maximum value out of 1 overseas player.
Jason Holder was first choice but his IPL deal complicates things similarly to Pujara last year. Cam Green is another option following Australias tour of Pakistan, as he isn’t involved in white ball cricket internationally, but has been playing non-stop since the start of the ashes.
By all accounts the situation is fluid, and the club are still trying to get a player in. But will only take someone who will definitely improve the squad, and be there for a reasonable period; a bonus if they can also act as a second T20 overseas.

As said in my post of 24 Feb, I'd heard rumours that we were considering an All Rounder as CC (& RLC) Overseas player, to replace Bresnan. I speculated that, with the Mason appointment, it might be a Western Australia guy. The fact that the County website highlighted his work with Cameron Green, only added to that feeling.
I agree there might be difficulties bringing Green in for a full season, but there are other good All Rounder options in the WA squad - my pick as an alternative to Green, would be Hilton Cartwright. He had a (part) season with Middlesex in 2018 (bowling well, but did little with the bat) and is a very decent medium pace bowler, with a good First Class batting record. And I don't think he's got any International commitments or ties with IPL or other Summer white ball competitions.