Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk

https://www.thecricketer.com/Topics/countycricket/graeme_welch_to_move_warwickshire_hampshire_bowling_coach.html

A very sad bit of news this morning. Graeme Welch has left Edgbaston (again !), to go to Hampshire. I'm really surprised, he seemed such a key member of the Coching staff - and was probably the best Coach we've had in many a year - so many WCCC bowlers owe a future to him. I don't know if its down to money, or a feeling that he'd be better off at Hampshire. I guess we'll find out more soon. I hope we've got a good replacement lined up.

If we were lose a Coach, I fully expected it to be our Batting Coach. I do think Frostie has had his day in that job and we seriously need new ideas and skills in that role ?

"You can take the boy out of Atherstone, but you can never take Atherstone out of the boy !"
"The Bears and the (footballing) Foxes for ever !"

Indeed, very disappointing news.

Hampshire, the Aegus Bowl….isn’t that where he worked during the 100?

Having read the release from Hampshire, https://www.ageasbowl.com/cricket/news/graeme-welch-to-join-hampshire-as-bowling-lead-coach/
It seems that he is moving to a wider ranging role, so it is effectively a promotion.

Working at the Ageas, where he worked with Brave in the 100, plus a bit of a promotion probably meant Warwickshire had no choice. Shame though.

Super Moderator

I'm not sure that I can see the bit about it being a wider ranging role.
On the Club site, his current role is described as: "He now has a broad brief, to work with the current first-team bowlers but also set up a conveyor-belt of bowling talent which will benefit the first-team squad in medium and long term."
Hampshire say: "Alongside working with the bowling group of the senior squad, Welch will oversee the development of all the Hampshire bowlers throughout the age-group system. "
That seems like two different ways of describing the same role.

The exact same role he had with us, no?

Unless I've missed something there hasn't been any talk of a replacement bowling coach has there?

I hope we don't go down the route of employing a former player as the easy option. I do have more confidence in the current set up in appointing the right people though. It's been interesting to hear a lot of talk about the quality of coaches in the County Circuit (mainly regarding batting) in recent weeks.

The post was advertised on the clubs website a few weeks ago, including closing dates, job description etc

I'm sure the club will announce the post holder when the selection process has concluded.

This update was published today https://edgbaston.com/news/farbrace-updates-bowling-coach-search/?fbclid=IwAR3TotYIg9lry-1jDIUbV7rfqlu3XcL8b4CqkA6xSB192ShdQC6sNNijxSs

Super Moderator

As Highveld says, the article does seem to suggest that the Club are going about the recruitment in a professional manner.
The word on the grapevine is that some very strong applications have come through so it will be an interesting appointment.

Yes I’ve just seen the update, talk about timing 😊 good to see what is being said.