Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk
Super Moderator

Preview here:
https://edgbaston.com/fixtures/first-xi/warwickshire-vs-essex-21-april-2022/#match-match-previews

Super Moderator

My understanding re Nathan McAndrew is that he is likely to arrive in the UK over the weekend.
The situation in Ukraine has led to a large backlog of visa applications being processed, hence the delay.

Two changes from the last game then.

Davies in for Mousley, and Norwell in for Miles. Seems slightly harsh on Mousley,

Super Moderator

The Club preview says: "Dan Mousley is ruled out by a broken little finger (he is likely to be sidelined for around two weeks)."
He has had bad luck with injuries.

Ah fair enough, should really have read the full preview from your link shouldn't I!

I don't recall him being injured in last game, so must have been training?

Administrator

A nice start to the game to wake up to today!

So far after losing the toss, we would more than settle for this.

Super Moderator

That looks like a good day's work.

Definitely our day. Watched the last hour on the feed, Essex bowled well and the ball was swinging all the time. A good effort (plus a little lucky) to get to the close just two down. Hopefully batting gets easier tomorrow and we can build a decisive lead.

Administrator

Cricinfo are reporting that Lawrence picked up a hamstring injury at the end of the day, although it's not clear if this will affect his ability to bat in the second innings.

One slight concern is no wickets again for HB. I thought Craig Miles was excellent at the end of last season and should be playing.

I think it’s more a reflection on how the attack was put together in that first match. OHD and Miles are similar in that both are swing bowlers, relying on line and length, but OHD is just able to do more, I expect due to his height. And Brookes whilst he can be wayward, he does have the pace, and that makes him a different option. And so Miles, who didn’t bowl well in that first match, lost out to Norwell who bowled well yesterday.

I suspect Brookes will lose out to McAndrew when he arrives. The interesting thing will be how long they can fight off the inevitable injuries, and what happens when Stone is fit.

I suppose it’s a reflection on the fact that this is probably the strongest squad I can remember the club having in some time. If you consider no second overseas, and for various reasons no Woakes, Stone, Mousley, Miles, Bethell, Lintott, Hose, Benjamin, Johal, E Brookes, Garret, and Sidebottom.

What's the issue with McAndrew? I notice Australians, Steketee in this match for Essex and Labuschagne for Glamorgan are both playing. Seemingly no problems with obtaining Visa's?

They’re still saying Visa. But I have heard that he’s arriving this weekend. So hopefully ready for the next match.

On another note, anyone starting to worry about Rhodes? Apart from the Cook wicket, he’s been expensive with the ball both matches. And low scores too. After a pretty average season with the bat last year.

Administrator

I guess that Essex and Glamorgan might have applied for the visas earlier than we did? McAndrew was a relatively late signing for us.

Super Moderator

Another fantastic knock by Burgess.
Let's hope that Liam Norwell's concussion is not too bad - but having Craig Miles as a replacement is a fair deal.

Norwell off for concussion still. Can anyone inform me how the concussion subs work, can Norwell come back on tomorrow?

I'd guess it's unlikely. You wouldn't want to encourage him to come back if he was actually concussed. As Gerry says, a fair deal. And how good was that wicket at the death? Wonder how Laurence will go. A yone know his status?

Hopefully Liam recovers quickly. How does it work with Miles if Liam is fit tomorrow? All in all a great day for the Bears. Burgess - what a great knock! Spectacular hitting!

Super Moderator

I'm not sure about Lawrence, though someone on commentary said that he was struggling just to walk today.