Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk

So with 1 day left of the last preseason match, the question must be what will be the first team of the season vs Derbyshire. For me the questions are, will Malan arrive in time to play, will they play a spinner, and 6 batsmen or 7? Assuming all are fit, but with Malan still not arriving my side would be:
Sibley
Rhodes
Yates
Hain
Lamb
Burgess
Bresnan
Briggs
Norwell
Stone
OHD

Weather looks changeable throughout the four days (Understandable as it is early April) but it should be largely dry.

The early season optimism has yet to be beaten out of me (Give it a couple of weeks!) but as a first choice XI I think that looks reasonable, certainly enough to overcome Derbyshire.

What happens when we lose players to England or injuries is anybody's guess however...

Bears fan, Wolves fan, no longer a not so vital statistician...

Will Stone be available?

Administrator

Really can’t wait for the start of the season. This has been such a long winter!

I always prefer us with 6 batsmen, generally. I'd say Malan isn't gonna be available.

Rhodes
Sibley
Yates
Hain
Lamb
Mousley
Burgess
Bresnan
Briggs
Stone
OHD

I'd go:

Rhodes
Sibley
Yates
Hain
Mousley
Burgess +
Bresnan
Brookes
Briggs
Stone
OHD

It'll probably be seamer friendly conditions so I'd play Brookes ahead of Lamb for now.

I wouldn’t be quick to write off Derbyshire, they have an established batting line up and quite an exciting, albeit inexperienced, bowling attack. It should be a good battle I think. I certainly don’t see it as an easy match.

Whatever team we pick they need to be at the races.

I wouldn’t be quick to write off Derbyshire, they have an established batting line up and quite an exciting, albeit inexperienced, bowling attack. It should be a good battle I think. I certainly don’t see it as an easy match.

Whatever team we pick they need to be at the races.

Hopefully we can bat properly this season. It seemed only Rhodes was consistent last term.

XIII for tomorrow

Rhodes, Sibley, Yates, Hain, Lamb, Mousley, Burgess, Brez, Brookes, Norwell, Miles, Briggs, OHD.

Norwell and Miles miss out for me. Norwell could easily get in ahead of Brookes though.

Administrator

I think I'd leave out Miles and probably Lamb or Brookes, depending on conditions. Is Stone being prevented from playing by England, or is he injured?

Super Moderator

Not sure about Stone. I would have thought England would have wanted him to get some overs under his belt.

The ECB have said no to Stone for this week. They want to limit his matches. He’ll most likely play next week though.

It’s Miles and Mousley to drop out for me.

BristolBear wrote:

The ECB have said no to Stone for this week. They want to limit his matches. He’ll most likely play next week though.

It’s Miles and Mousley to drop out for me.

I'd agree with that, as the likelihood. Personally, I think Mousley is a better bet than Yates at present and while I don't rate Miles, I think he is more reliable than Henry B (at this stage in his career).

"You can take the boy out of Atherstone, but you can never take Atherstone out of the boy !"
"The Bears and the (footballing) Foxes for ever !"

If its a bowler friendly pitch I'd play the extra batsmen so Brookes and Miles miss out for me

OHD Bresnan Norwell Rhodes and Briggs should be good enough.

I'd have Lamb in the side, so Miles and Mousley are the ones to miss out.

The best performances in 4 day cricket have come when we play 6 batsmen. 3 seamers, Briggs and Rhodes as 5th bowler should be more than enough bowling wise.

Link for scorecard and live streaming etc

https://edgbaston.com/fixtures/first-xi/warwickshire-v-derbyshire-8-april-2021/

& Youtube link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mge-tP3AN2U

Live Score

https://live.nvplay.com/ecb/#m2ccf9768-f972-4d1e-bd67-16227d6fe8f8

I’ll be following enthusiastically, how I wish I could be there. I may sit in the garden with a blanket, a thermos and a jolly big coat for an authentic first day of the season feeling.

Brookes and Mousley left out