Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk

Moving on swiftly from the Taunton debacle...

Lancashire away. Any changes? Norwell back?

Anderson due a rest surely...

Administrator

Might Woakes be in contention for this one? He was apparently due to play in the Somerset game but had one or two niggles

Super Moderator

Report in the Mail said: "He will .. look to come back versus Lancashire at Old Trafford in the first week of May."
So, fingers crossed!

Twitter admin said he'd be back for Northants at home.

Super Moderator

Yes, he does say Northants in the interview on the Club site, so not the Lancs game.

What changes would memebers here make to the side for the next game?

Super Moderator

I guess it's too soon to say to McAndrew: "Remind me, is there any restriction on how soon you can use your return flight ticket?"
But, as has been pointed out in relation to last year's overseas 'stars', if they aren't performing, they are not only letting down the team but also denying chances to talented young players in the squad.
If he's fit again, Norwell has to come in for sure. And we just have to hope that OH-D stays fully fit or the bowling attack will really be in trouble.

Considering how many chances people were willing to give Vihari last season, when he was out of his depth and a meant we were, effectivly playing with 10 men, it is extremely harsh to want to discard McAndrew after one game, where he made a contribution with the bat.

If the wicket looks likely to assist spin, it might be worth replacing Yates with Bethell, and, if fit, Norwell should be included, probably for Miles.

Whomever we pick it cannot be any worse than losing to Somerset. That was a poor performance and we made them look like world-beaters. Lancashire are a good side so another poor 4 days (or 3) will see us losing ground. Getting Woakes back would be superb.

Norwell should really be in for McAndrew but that won't happen...so it will be Norwell for Miles and that will be harsh.

Highveld wrote:

Considering how many chances people were willing to give Vihari last season, when he was out of his depth and a meant we were, effectivly playing with 10 men, it is extremely harsh to want to discard McAndrew after one game, where he made a contribution with the bat.

If the wicket looks likely to assist spin, it might be worth replacing Yates with Bethell, and, if fit, Norwell should be included, probably for Miles.

Something tells me you really don't like Vihari 🤣 he's a test match batsman playing for India, in no way was he out of his depth..many good batsman have struggled initially, I don't think he was close to a world beater but you were far more harsh to him than anyone has been to Macandrew so far...very odd

Yeah I remember you being really anti Vihari last season. No one was really championing him to be fair.

Did he pump yer bird?

We really miss Woakes and Stone. Somerset had both Overton and Leach playing and Lancs have had Anderson bowling for them. Woakes even when fit is rarely allowed to play for Warwickshire. The ECB always seem to come up with an excuse to prevent him playing.

Super Moderator

It's good news for the Bears that neither Mahmood (injured) nor Anderson (rested) is in the Lancs squad, though it messes up the preview I've just written.

Administrator

Squad:

Will Rhodes (C)
Chris Benjamin
Danny Briggs
Michael Burgess
Alex Davies
Sam Hain
Olly Hannon-Dalby
Matt Lamb
Jake Lintott
Nathan McAndrew
Craig Miles
Dom Sibley
Rob Yates

Still no Norwell, so I would guess that it’ll be the same team as the Somerset game.

I wonder if they’d take a risk and play the extra spinner in Lintott, maybe leaving out Yates.
Old Trafford has traditionally taken spin, and as it stands, without Norwell the bowling really lacks a threat.
The batting was poor against Somerset, but I honestly believe the bowling was far more concerning. The batting has plenty of talent and has shown it can score runs. It was never a bat once pitch, that we made look like a road, and unless Norwell or Woakes are back or McAndrew really improves, it’s hard to see us taking enough wickets in tough conditions.

I thought Norwell was ok now?

Administrator

He is, but needs to get some overs in for the 2nds first

The Woakes situation really is frustrating. I see Mousley is still unavailable, it was supposed to be a two week recovery for the finger injury?

Woakes is in training working back from injury he picked up in the Caribbean.

Mousley back for the Blast.