Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk

https://www.msn.com/en-in/sports/cricket/hanuma-vihari-lined-up-for-warwickshire-stint-after-pieter-malan-deal-hits-visa-snag/ar-BB1flLDF?ocid=BingNewsSearch

Shame if so as I do think a long term overseas signing is required

Seems legit. Fair well Pete, we hardly knew ye...

Official statement from the club

https://edgbaston.com/news/pieter-malan-update/

If we can't have a full season replacement we might be better off staying with an al English squad. I don't think a series of short term replacements is good for the team or gives the club value for the costs incurred.

I’ve always thought for a batsman at least, less than half a season is pointless.
3 games is far too short. That’s maximum 6 innings to make an impact. Assume he takes a couple to get used to the conditions and the club, throw in a bad umpiring decision, suddenly you’ve got 3 innings. A nice green top or a few days rain and suddenly, you’ve hardly contributed anything.

Vihari is more middle order, isn't he?

Shame, as I think Malan would add more useful being top order where we can be quite weak.

But Vihari isn't a bad signing.

First things first, it's great that the forum has been re-born - I have missed it since the previous version disappeared so many thanks to those responsible for bringing it back to life.

Moving onto Vihari's apparent signing, I'm very disappointed that Malan's arrival has been delayed and I just hope it is a temporary blip that can be overcome. I am afraid I'm not filled with confidence by a short-term signing such as this, especially given that his last five innings have produced scores of 2, 2, 1, 4 and 0! However, I hope I am proved wrong and that his obvious talent that has produced a highly impressive FC average of nearly 57 will re-emerge once he arrives.

Yes I agree with all of that. Looks like a fine player based on his stats but I'm not sure short spells ever really work. A bit tough on the player as well who will be scraping the ice off his car windscreen before driving to the ground. Perhaps one advantage is player and team get to have a look at each other and if they both like what they see might do a longer deal in the future (Did Jeets come to us that way?)

Solbear wrote:

First things first, it's great that the forum has been re-born - I have missed it since the previous version disappeared so many thanks to those responsible for bringing it back to life.

Moving onto Vihari's apparent signing, I'm very disappointed that Malan's arrival has been delayed and I just hope it is a temporary blip that can be overcome. I am afraid I'm not filled with confidence by a short-term signing such as this, especially given that his last five innings have produced scores of 2, 2, 1, 4 and 0! However, I hope I am proved wrong and that his obvious talent that has produced a highly impressive FC average of nearly 57 will re-emerge once he arrives.

I'm not entirely sure we'll actually sign Vihari. I think we might just have lined him up, with the possibility that Malan won't get sorted for a while. The post on the County website said they were working hard to get Malan in (get a Visa and arrange his quarantine), it was implied they were optimistic of sorting it out in 2/3 weeks. Also, Farbs said he was confident the current squad could absorb a short term loss of Malan - and that is demonstrated by how they used the batsmen in the pre-season matches (and the form of the batsmen). I would guess that Plan A is to get Malan playing by the end of April and they will only turn to Plan B (and Vihari), if PM can't be sorted until May.

'The only good banker, is the Lickey Banker!'

Is Vihari in the UK. Because surely he’ll have to quarantine too if not.
Apparently on the Malan issue, and Farbs mentioned it when referring to “routes”, is that even though he can’t get a visa currently, if he eventually does, flying via South Africa would mean an extended quarantine. So the club were trying to find a way he could fly via 2 other countries, to lower the quarantine time. Fly from SA, a red status country, to lesser risk country outside the EU, to the EU, then into the UK. Meaning he could do 5 days and 2 negative tests, rather than the full 10 days.

Administrator

BristolBear wrote:

Is Vihari in the UK. Because surely he’ll have to quarantine too if not.

No one seems to know! The Cricinfo article from yesterday says that he's not in the UK yet, but the BCCI say that he is already in England.

Administrator

Vihari now confirmed as joining for the "early rounds" of the championship. The club hope he will be available for the next match as he arrives in the UK this afternoon:

https://edgbaston.com/news/warwickshire-sign-india-batsman-vihari-for-lv-insurance-championship-fixtures/

The_Lickey_Banker wrote:

Solbear wrote:

I'm not entirely sure we'll actually sign Vihari. I think we might just have lined him up, with the possibility that Malan won't get sorted for a while. The post on the County website said they were working hard to get Malan in (get a Visa and arrange his quarantine), it was implied they were optimistic of sorting it out in 2/3 weeks. Also, Farbs said he was confident the current squad could absorb a short term loss of Malan - and that is demonstrated by how they used the batsmen in the pre-season matches (and the form of the batsmen). I would guess that Plan A is to get Malan playing by the end of April and they will only turn to Plan B (and Vihari), if PM can't be sorted until May.

Plan B has kicked in then. Vihari signed on month long contract. He's in the UK now, but quarantining. That might be finished in time for Notts next week. Malan now expected to be available some time in May.

'The only good banker, is the Lickey Banker!'

Good news about Malin at the end of this article

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/county-championship-2021-1244186/warwickshire-vs-derbyshire-group-1-1244223/match-report-2

He now has the Visa and should be here by the end of the month.