Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk
Super Moderator

Preview here:
https://edgbaston.com/fixtures/first-xi/birmingham-bears-vs-leicestershire-2-june-2022/#match-match-previews
Good to note in the "On the brink" section that Alex Davies needs just 57 more for 2,000 T20 runs.
Maybe by the end of next season?

On the brink of being dropped amirite?!

Same team, lost the toss and bowling first. I hope Hain makes a speedy recovery. Hopefully going to be proven wrong but I think the top four as it is looks a little brittle, Stirlings first match notwithstanding.

This is pretty poor

Administrator

Some brainless batting on show today. Quite why numbers 8, 9 and 10 felt the need to get out slogging wildly instead of getting Brathwaite on strike, I'm not sure

Poor display. Yes, Brathwaite needed the strike. Surely as captain he should've instructed the lower order batsmen?

The damage was done before the last few overs. Constantly losing wickets as we approached parity.

I thought we bowled average to poor after the powerplay, giving them at least 20 runs more than they should have got.

Administrator

white-lightning wrote:

Poor display. Yes, Brathwaite needed the strike. Surely as captain he should've instructed the lower order batsmen?

You'd hope so, but maybe the thought of glory (or the pressure) went to their heads

The Eric Hollies stand looked a bit lively...

Can Burgess play in the T20?
I think we're somewhat hampered without Hain (batting) and, of course, Woakes (bowling & Batting) Stone and Norwell (bowling). Even Dan Mousley is another good batting choice, unfortunately still out.
That is a lot of serious quality missing.

Administrator

Hain was in the squad so presumably must be nearly recovered from his injury?

Brooks, Lintott, Miles and Briggs, a total of 9 runs from 18 balls tells it's own story. Why wasn't Briggs up higher, his big hitting in the championship decider last year should have given our management a bit of a clue as to where he should bat. Cannot believe our batting scoring rate in the first 3 games and here we cannot even chase down 153 to win.

I reckon a team should look to double the score reached at the end of the 12th over providing the wickets are in hand. Leics managed to do just that despite being 5x wickets down!! They simply should not have been able to get to that score.

white-lightning wrote:

Can Burgess play in the T20?
I think we're somewhat hampered without Hain (batting) and, of course, Woakes (bowling & Batting) Stone and Norwell (bowling). Even Dan Mousley is another good batting choice, unfortunately still out.
That is a lot of serious quality missing.

Dan Mousley is back and playing. He turned out in two 2nds T20's this week. Opened and got a very good (and quick) 81 in the game against Gloucester. Went in at 5 against Glamorgan and got 11.

PS Unfortunately, we did lose both those, so look to be out of the 2nds T20 top two - a shame as we were unbeaten in the early matches (though then had our current first choice T20 team playing).

'The only good banker, is the Lickey Banker!'

Super Moderator

I agree with pretty well everything said so far - but were there any positives?
Let's admit it, Alex Davies had a pretty good game - two stumpings and three catches plus he top-scored. OK, the shot he got out to was poor but you could say the same about Bethell, Yates, Stirling and so on down the order.
Until he got out, I thought that Rob Yates looked much more like his old self.
The spinners (Briggs, Lintott and Bethell) bowled well.
OK, not much else, though where other than the Hollies Stand can you go if you fancy watching a brawl on a Thursday afternoon?

Didn't see the game but clearly disappointing result. We do seem poor at chasing down totals and I think other teams have sussed this out. Still The Blast is a funny old tournament and all the teams will lose a few. 3 out of four 4 ain't bad, as Meatloaf almost sang.

Super Moderator

This was my report on the game:
https://deepextracover.com/2022/06/foxes-end-bears-unbeaten-record/