Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk

On to the next one...

Notts away, are we expecting any changes? Vihari in? Stone in? Members in?!

Administrator

I’d go for Stone in for Miles, or Norwell if we’re trying to manage his workload. Vihari is a tricky one as there’s no obvious candidate for him to replace. Based solely on the Derbyshire match, maybe Hain, but that would be a bit harsh.

I think Vihari has to play - if he is permitted to - but would suggest he replaces Danny Briggs with Stone for Miles the other change i'd make. Would also like to see Henry Brookes back in the team, I was surprised that Craig Miles was preferred to him in the first game but perhaps he wasn't fully fit.

I would think that Yates would be the one to make way, merited or not. It’s a big season for Hain he is no longer the young buck. He has done alright the past couple of seasons without being spectacular (in red ball cricket that is). I’d love for him to kick on and show some of his white ball talents in the longer form of the game.

I think Exiled Bear is right with regards to Stone, I can see Norwell being rested/rotated (whatever word is fashionable right now).

I’d like us to go in with 6 batsmen like almost every other county has this early in the season, so Vihari in for Briggs. Burgess bats at 7. Bresnan, Norwell, OHD and Stone the bowlers. Then Rhodes can also bowl, plus some part time spin if necessary from Sibley and Lamb.
An extra batsman could have meant a 100 run lead. Which might have actually forced the win in the time allowed.

Id go for Sibley, Rhodes, Yates, Hain, Vihari, Lamb, Burgess, Bresnan, Norwell/Briggs, Stones, OHD

Ideally Norwell over Briggs, Vihari can actually bowl some decent off spin.

Just had a quick look and Notts streaming service is an improvement on ours. Follows the ball much better

ajones1328 wrote:

I'd go for Sibley, Rhodes, Yates, Hain, Vihari, Lamb, Burgess, Bresnan, Norwell/Briggs, Stones, OHD

Ideally Norwell over Briggs, Vihari can actually bowl some decent off spin.

Just had a quick look and Notts streaming service is an improvement on ours. Follows the ball much better

I'd go with that !

'The only good banker, is the Lickey Banker!'

I've been screaming for us to play 6 batsmen.

Andy wrote:

I've been screaming for us to play 6 batsmen.

Agreed, with the pitches offering so much assistance in the early stages of the season we should be maximising on the likes of Rhodes who can offer plenty as a fifth bowler (if even required)

OHD, Bresnan, Stones, Norwell, Vihari, Rhodes is a great attack for April

I’m in total agreement. You look at most teams they have their keeper at 7 all year, let alone April.
But I do wonder why they went with only 5 batsmen, do they see Burgess as a true 6th and got greedy and want to fit in an extra bowler? Do they see the batting as stronger than the bowling? Or did they totally misread the pitch and conditions and thought it would be more like the practice matches?

I'm finding myself in agreement with the above points re extra batsmen, especially as I saw the tweet with Vihari in kit at the ground, suggests he is available to play tomorrow. I think overall the feeling I had last season was we hadn't reached the bottom of our slump yet - but I sense we're on the way up now. However, one thing I don't think has been addressed is variation and strike power in the bowling to finish teams off. What took on Derbyshire was almost exclusively right arm medium - fine when it's earlier and damp but not afternoon and drying. Adding Stone for some straight up speed or getting a left armer from somewhere I suspect must be next priority. Not being able to knock Derbyshire over sooner, in either innings, was chief among the reasons we couldn't win there.

How we miss Barker, a golden left arm and the ability to score runs lower down the order!

Administrator

13 man squad:

Rhodes (c), Bresnan, Briggs, Burgess (wk), Hannon-Dalby, Hain, Lamb, Miles, Norwell, Sibley, Stone, Vihari, Yates

Stone and Vihari in for Brookes and Mousley

Super Moderator

Good to see Stone back.

Stone for Miles, and Vihari for Briggs?

BristolBear wrote:

Stone for Miles, and Vihari for Briggs?

That would be my choice as well.

"You can take the boy out of Atherstone, but you can never take Atherstone out of the boy !"
"The Bears and the (footballing) Foxes for ever !"

Stone in for Miles.

Lamb has to play so Hain or Yates to drop out, probably Yates.

Live scores here
https://live.nvplay.com/ecb/#m58b02c91-b344-4537-bac3-2ec5d3c91ac1

Youtube link for live stream
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMobiX0CWFs

Administrator

Miles and Norwell are the ones who drop out.

Disappointed Norwell not playing but maybe fitness relayed

Just starts Notts streaming coverage and they have a presenter involved, looks way more professional than our offer

Whilst I was fairly happy with our package, the club does need to look at what is being done elsewhere as I'm pretty certain by the end of today their coverage will be shown to be far superior.

Very impressive pre-game presentation from Nott's, they haven't listed the Warwickshire team though.