Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk

Interesting article in the Cricketer suggesting that Warks are making approaches for Moeen, as well as Ed Barnard and Saqib Mahmood of Lancs. All three would be good signings, although Moeen has now 'unretired' from Test cricket so may not be around much, and doesn't appear to turn out very often for Worcs. Mahmood, when fit, will also be on England's radar I suspect so he too many be far from a regular in the team.

Interestingly, the article suggests Dom Sibley is attracting the attention of at least one other county (not Surrey) and Olly Stone may be looking at a white ball only contract next year, depending on fitness. Interesting times ahead, potentially!

We have been here before, I remember there being loads of press when we wanted to sign Buttler and Nick Compton a while back and it seemed we were outbid. As to these three, My initial thought was I thought it was a shame we couldn't bring through our own players, but of course one of them we have. Saqib I think has Birmingham connections too.

I'm not sure what Sibley's motivation is for leaving. Article behind the payroll... If I was Stone I'd want to have one more crack at red ball cricket so I think we'll see a bit more of him long form.

Saqib's brother plays for Attock in the Warwickshire league. I've umpired him several times.

Ed Barnard would be a very good signing.

Not sure if Moeen would want to come back. He was dying to leave first time around and he would only play in the one-day games. In my opinion he is a lightweight who is never happy unless everything is just his way, one minute he is retiring from Tests and now we hear that he would like to be considered for section again because he suddenly likes the new set up. Well that being the case, shouldn't he be playing in the CC for Worcestershire. Sibley was getting nowhere at Surrey and we gave him a lifeline, not sure if I believe that he would want to leave already.

Administrator

According to Cricinfo Moeen is now "widely expected to join Warwickshire along with Lancashire's Saqib Mahmood"

Mo was treated very shabbily by the previous England set up, to the extent that Root had to issue a public apology to him. I'm not surprised he retired then and neither am I surprised he fancies another crack at it under this new set up.

Super Moderator

Maybe he will, maybe he won't!
https://worcesterobserver.co.uk/sport/moeen-ive-yet-to-decide-my-future-39217/

Super Moderator

According to Cricinfo, Moeen and Saqib Mahmood (both Birmingham born) are likely to join Ed Barnard in signing for the Bears:
https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/county-cricket-news-warwickshire-land-long-term-target-as-ed-barnard-signs-three-year-deal-1322475

Great news - he’s coming home! White ball only plus pay as you play red ball, not sure how that fits with his ‘unretirement’ from Test cricket though…

https://www.thecricketer.com/Topics/countycricket/moeen_ali_returns_warwickshire_white_ball_contract.html?fbclid=IwAR3r5ZUQnO64JkNT8SE_4vzYk2N2sSamo3TDsUcnZdjRHwKNbi9Yc0CulmM

Super Moderator

And the same article says that Saqib Mahmood is now likely to stay at Lancashire.

Reading between the lines he's gonna captain us in the Blast.

I would have preferred the signing of Mahmoud to be honest as I feel we are lacking on the pace bowling front. As a white ball only contract we will see him a bit which is fair enough, I guess he replaces the two oversees spots this year as an aggressive batsmen and an all rounder.

I don't think his record is good enough to warrant re-signing him and it is a waste in getting him to play CC cricket as he was a reluctant player in that form at Worcestershire with very diminished returns. I saw his T20 record flash up on the board during the T20 Blast game a few weeks ago and I wasn't that impressed with that either. Where does this leave both Briggs and Lintott.

As Briggs was signed for all forms of the game, and he's played every game he's been available for since his signing, he shouldn't be concerned about Moeen joining the club.

Administrator

It's not uncommon to play three spinners these days either, plus his batting is good enough on its own anyway.

He'll bat in the top 4 and be 3rd spin option.

This makes Dan Mousley's improving spin redundant though.

It's a bit of a strange signing. Due to his involvement in the Hundred he'll likely only play in the Blast.

Still nice he's come home and all that but...we kinda don't need him.

By signing Moeen the club is adding a very experienced, high quality all rounder, who will pass on his experience to what is a very yound squad.

It also means we can be more selective about the overseas player, if any, that we sign.

He will also be an asset for the club in marketing the games, especially as Moeen is a hero to many in the local community,

Agree with all that, I'm a huge fan of his, I've said further up I can see him captaining the Blast side.

But we've already got 2 batters in our squad who are finger spinners.

He'll certainly bat in the top 4 so I expect our overseas players to be a gun opener and a left arm quick.

He was a great captain for Worcestershire in their T20 successes - can only see positives in him replacing Brathwaite in that role.

It does mean a lot of spinners but too many is better than not enough!