Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk

Really sums up the state of English spin bowling if we do go back to Moeen though.

BristolBear wrote:

Really sums up the state of English spin bowling if we do go back to Moeen though.

That would be through playing red ball cricket in spring and autumn. Plus in white ball it's 4 over max with the main aim to stop the opposition scoring.

Yes. Now it seems they'll be looking for a spinner merely to give the seamers a rest, the ultimate humiliation. May as well just pick Woakes.

Don’t be silly, Woakes is far too important as the waterboy for England!

Super Moderator

There has been the suggestion that Root could be the designated spinner and so make way for an extra player who could be Chris Woakes.

I can see it happening. Rather than pick a substandard spinner just to eat up a few overs, why not pick a quality bowler who is a handful in English conditions and strengthens the batting? It also solves the Stokes problem. The only issue I see is that Chris isn't that different to what's already in the seam attack.

I think they'll certainly sound Moeen out about potentially making himself available for the first couple of tests at least for the squad and be available if conditions suit a particular attack

They might then use the extra month or so of time to prepare one of the youngsters for Old Trafford

BristolBear wrote:

Certainly does. The idea of division two Dom Bess coming back in doesn't fill me with too much confidence. I'd go Moeen and Rehan and see who's most suitable on a test by test basis

If England did sound out Ali, then it is a backward step as he said he was not going to go back on his decision to not play Tests, he has no form whatsoever in first-class cricket as he probably hasn't bowled with a red ball in years and his reluctance to even bowl in the T20 games, shows where his game is. Also, if he isn't even making any runs, he is a passenger as soon as he is picked and from what I have seen if him in the T20 Blast, he doesn't appear to be worth a place at county level. Even picking Rehan Ahmed looks dangerous, 22 wickets in 11 first-class games will not make any Australian batsman shake with fear and from what I saw of his 5 wicket haul in Pakistan, he didn't turn many and their batsmen seemed to get out by just trying to hit him over the ropes. Only other option is, leave loads of grass on the pitches and make it look like Trent Bridge 1981 and forget a spinner.

Super Moderator

Moeen gets the call:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/65816609

Oh! Dear.

If he's got any sense he'll say no. And what about his contract with us, the captaincy etc, not sure it says much about him if he buggers off so quickly to play for England.

I might be on my own but I hope he does go to England. We can return to the balanced side that won the first 4 games in the Blast. I feel his arrival has upset the balance of the side including dropping Yates just so he can open the batting. And let's face it he has contributed very little in the two games. If he does go off to England then if he returns later on it should be solely as a member of the team and not as captain.

I can understand if he goes - England are in a right pickle and if they ask him to help them out of a hole I totally get that. It's not a question of disloyalty - he hasn't gone looking for it and the situation wouldn't have arisen at all but for an injury at the 11th hour. As Leicester says, it might even rebound in our favour.

I'll be slightly more confident about England getting 20 wickets with Moeen in the side. His skill against the left handers particularly Travis Head could be invaluable to setting up 4th innings run chases that are achievable. Third innings our flagging seam attack and especially if Stokes can't bowl himself into the ground we may well need his experience

I get it from Moeens point of view. It’s hard to say no to.

But also, I don’t like the fact he basically decided to retire when it was clear he wasn’t going to be first choice anymore. Then just brings himself in when he’s guaranteed. Imagine if Woakes did that. I didn’t like it when Billings declared himself as the backup keeper in Pakistan but was going to play BBL instead of being on the tour. You either play and are willing to fight for your place or not. In which case someone goes ahead of you who is willing to dedicate their time to the squad etc.

And just in terms of pure selection, I mean it cries out as picking a mate. He was awful in 2019 I think it was. He hasn’t played red ball in years. There’s better spinners out there. Hell I’d argue Briggs would do a much better job. But if they’re insistent on wanting someone to bat (doesn’t make sense to me as Leach couldn’t), surely you go Wills Jacks or Liam Dawson.

Long piece in the Guardian about Moeen and his Dad, Munir.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/jun/06/munir-ali-moeen-ali-birmingham-warwickshire-cricket

Quite interesting - some things I didn't know. My guess is Moeen will say no to an England test recall, he's been asked before and always gone through the motions of thinking about it before turning it down.

I'm not sure there are any better spinners out there. All he needs to do is sow some uncertainty in their left handers minds with a couple that really turn and bounce. It's the first area you look to and say Australia have a massive advantage over England in terms of personnel and that's even when Leach was in the side but we're not going to bridge the gap to Lyon with one of the youngsters or Dawson. The other area they hold the cards is their front line seam attack perhaps trump's England's although you never know with Starc and Hazelwood might not be fit. Top order batting neck and neck I'd say and England might have the edge in the middle to lower middle order but not by much. Points to a very close fought series but Aussies should have enough to at least draw it

LeicesterExile wrote:

I might be on my own but I hope he does go to England. We can return to the balanced side that won the first 4 games in the Blast. I feel his arrival has upset the balance of the side including dropping Yates just so he can open the batting. And let's face it he has contributed very little in the two games. If he does go off to England then if he returns later on it should be solely as a member of the team and not as captain.

I completely agree with you, LE. I won't be put out if he takes up the England invitation. Good for him, England - and us (at the moment) - a return to a winning T20 lineup is needed, not least to restore a bit of confidence.

We will be seeing him again - and I'm sure will be recompensed financially.

"You can take the boy out of Atherstone, but you can never take Atherstone out of the boy !"
"The Bears and the (footballing) Foxes for ever !"

Well, he's officially been called up for the first two tests.

Back to AD as captain for Blast.