Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk

Live scores and video highlights here
https://live.nvplay.com/ecb/#m86d33d97-6c91-4d99-9c21-a704f57b9108

Teams
WARWICKSHIRE 2ND XI
EJ Pollock, DR Mousley, AJ Hose, JG Bethell, EA Brookes, Roshan Balaji, OP Stone, HJH Brookes, VV Kelley†, MA Johal, GA Garrett, RN Sidebottom
SOMERSET 2ND XI
EJ Byrom, BGF Green, LP Goldsworthy, WCF Smeed, SJ Young, JEK Rew†, CG Harrison, JF Thomas, EO Leonard, JA Brooks, MT Foster, H Whitlock

A great start for the bowlers - 3 for 16 off 5 from Olly and 1 for 8 off 6 from Henry. Ryan S and George Garrett bowling now.

'The only good banker, is the Lickey Banker!'

Looks a "lively" wicket, with 15 wickets down before tea.

57 all out - only Jacob Bethell getting into double figures (26) !

Robinson has got a hell a lot of work to do - with the whole squad ?!

The club issued a statement yesterday and tweeted it today regarding the 2nd's team and Womens teams matches

It is so poorly written I have an issue trying to figure out what it means or in fact what the point of issuing the statement was.

https://edgbaston.com/news/fixtures-update-womens-team-and-mens-second-xi/

The_Lickey_Banker wrote:

57 all out - only Jacob Bethell getting into double figures (26) !

Robinson has got a hell a lot of work to do - with the whole squad ?!

Almost certainly the last day of the 2nds game against Somerset today - I guess we've done well to make it last 3 days ! We're on 105 for 4 in our second innings, chasing 448 ! Once again all the frontline batters (Pollock, Mousley & Hose) have failed - Olly Stone (going in at 3, as the 'Night Porter', prior to his likely call up for the 1sts on Thursday), currently top scorer on 27 ! Jacob Bethell (on another 20) and Ethan Brookes (on 25) are still there, so we MIGHT get to 200+ ! The bowlers had a bit of a mixed bag in the Somerset 2nd innings - Dan Mousley the pick (4 for 31 off 19), 2 wickets for Johal and 1 each for Henry B, Sidebottom, Balaji (probably, the 'best of the rest') and Garrett (really expensive at over 6 an over).

Olly Stone actually opened the batting in the second innings, he has done so, with Pollock, several times for Barnt Green.
A good 50 from Ethan Brookes, plus Bethell and Roshan have got started.
Overall a disappointing game.

Highveld wrote:

Olly Stone actually opened the batting in the second innings, he has done so, with Pollock, several times for Barnt Green.
A good 50 from Ethan Brookes, plus Bethell and Roshan have got started.
Overall a disappointing game.

Of course ! I'd forgotten that Olly had occasionally opened for BG. I remember seeing him get a 50 at Cherry Hill, but can't recall if he opened then.

I saw a bit of Ethan's innings. He is looking a better bat, year on year, but I think his bowling has gone correspondingly downhill. He reminds me of Aaron Thomason's progress - I see Sussex only employ him as a batsman in red ball and an occasional bowler in white ball, now.

I think he played most of 2019 (?) as an opening batsman.
They'd have had an exception top 4 if all of Lamb, Pollock, Stone & Tom Banton played in the same game.

Highveld wrote:

I think he played most of 2019 (?) as an opening batsman.
They'd have had an exception top 4 if all of Lamb, Pollock, Stone & Tom Banton played in the same game.

Ah, I didn't see many BG games in 2019. I saw his 50 in 2018 I think.

Tom B's move to Somerset was such a loss to the Bears !?

Yes, Tom Banton would have been a real asset. Him and Sam Hain opening in white ball cricket would be explosive. Decent keeper too.

The_Lickey_Banker wrote:

Highveld wrote:

A good 50 from Ethan Brookes

He is looking a better bat, year on year, but I think his bowling has gone correspondingly downhill. He reminds me of Aaron Thomason's progress - I see Sussex only employ him as a batsman in red ball and an occasional bowler in white ball, now.

Ethans's 112 NO and bowling figures of 4 overs for 21 runs and no wickets against Cardiff UCCE yesterday, only goes to reinforce my view that he is becoming the 'next Aaron Thomason' ! A promising batsman, but only a 'back up' bowler. His bowling record for the Seconds over the past 2 seasons has only been modest, but he is developing into decent batter.

I think Thomason was his own worst enemy though. By all accounts Gillespie at Sussex, was not a fan of him because he didn't want to put in the work be it in the nets or on his own fitness. Which were the rumours here when he was released. Liked the lifestyle, not the work, which is why he seemed so much better in the shorter formats.
I suspect with Brookes, it's a case of working on his batting more than his bowling, and that he'll find that natural balance as he gets older.

To be fair Thomason is making a good fist of the openers job down at Sussex.