Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk

As a warm up for the RL cup there is a game against cheshire on Sunday

Match details from Cheshire

https://cheshireccc.org.uk/blog/cheshire-v-warwickshire-31-july-2022-all-you-need-to-know

Tickets link
https://cheshireccc.org.uk/match-tickets/tickets-cheshire-v-warwickshire-31-july-2022

I understand that the venue is a good club ground with a very good wicket.

The ground is just over a mile walk from Chester railway station if using the train to get to Chester, if the railway workers are actually working on Sunday!

Does this match have List A status?

Not sure, I'd need to check the criteria for that status.
Usually pre season warm up games don't, which this game is effectively.

Who do we think actually plays? I can’t see OHD playing more than a couple. Doubt Norwell plays at all.
I suspect Maddy has been signed so Burgess can rest and won’t play every game. Expect Rhodes and Sibley will be given time off too.

Hope to see plenty of Johal, Simmons, Garrett, Brookes, and maybe a chance for Khan too. It’d a shame Bethell is just going to be carrying drinks in the hundred rather than getting actual white ball match experience.

BristolBear wrote:

Who do we think actually plays? I can’t see OHD playing more than a couple. Doubt Norwell plays at all.
I suspect Maddy has been signed so Burgess can rest and won’t play every game. Expect Rhodes and Sibley will be given time off too.

Hope to see plenty of Johal, Simmons, Garrett, Brookes and maybe a chance for Khan too. It’d a shame Bethell is just going to be carrying drinks in the hundred rather than getting actual white ball match experience.

Ethan as well as Henry. The most interesting for me, is Lamb - will he do enough to get a contract renewal. I hope so.

'The only good banker, is the Lickey Banker!'

Sadly it looks like the management have decided to discard Lamb.
Robinson was over generous in his praise for Yates getting runs against a weak Notts second team, but totally ignored the fact Lamb scored a similar amount of runs. Also there has been no explanation of Lambs omission.

Hopefully the club can put out a competitive side and win some games. I do agree that it would be much better for Jacob to be playing every 50 over game rather than not playing in the unwanted competition.

the clubs preview article

https://edgbaston.com/news/brookes-is-ready-to-hit-the-ground-running/

Interesting last sentence there. Rumour is Burgess won’t keep all, or potentially any of the RL matches. He’s apparently been nursing an injury the last few rounds of the championship. Which is why the club has signed both young keepers. Burgess apparently wants to play but the club would rather not risk him, and if needs be fully rest him for the championship. It’s supposedly some sort of leg injury, and he was seen at the oval in deep conversation with the physio, and tape around his lower leg.

The other apparent undisclosed injury issue is Rhodes’ back. He’s had an ongoing problem he’s been managing this year, and is why his bowling has been off and far less overs than last year.

As if we haven't lost enough players over the last few season's, not including Lamb, well isn't that a statement. If he decides he wants to go elsewhere then our management will only have themselves to blame in a season where they have covered themselves in anything but glory.

Lamb is in the squad of 13.

Matt Lamb lives!

Sibley
Yates
Rhodes
Burgess
Lamb
Pandya
E Brookes
Maddy
Miles
Norwell
Johal

A strong side v Cheshire so let us hope we are taking this competition seriously. After all, once it starts properly on 2nd August it is a trophy and a cup final so we should do so.

Super Moderator

Norwell 5-14. Let's hope he can stay fit for the rest of the season.

Did anyone here go to the game? What was the atmosphere like? how were the facilities?

Should we continue with these games? Ideally they would all be played at the NCCA counties ground as part of an efford to spread the game around the country.

Highveld wrote:

Did anyone here go to the game? What was the atmosphere like? how were the facilities?

Should we continue with these games? Ideally they would all be played at the NCCA counties ground as part of an efford to spread the game around the country.

Yes, I went. It was a good day. Cheshire did very well to get the game on at 12.15. Good wicket, flat outfield, decent crowd. Not sure what you mean by facilities - there were lots of toilets!, food and drink were available and the car park was adjacent to the pavilion. They also produced a match programme which incorporated a scorecard.

Should these games continue? Yes, they should and they should then progress to become part of the knockout stage of the 50 over competition.

Good to read that you had a good day.

I was at Eastnor Castle for the Hereford v Worcestershire game, working not spectating.

A lovely ground, good wicket and outfield, free parking behind the pavillion & free admission, but donations we collected for the local Acorns charity.

There was a hospitality marquee for corporate guests and a great burger stand, at a reasonable price.

The day was good for the host club and both counties.

Should definitely bring back the Knockout cup
I know ECB and PCA are then concerned about lack of 50 overs experience if certain counties get knocked out but that can be remedied earlier in the season. One way would be to have a league again and maybe have it a mix of 50 (or maybe 40 overs) matches and T20 matches. Kinda like the Blast now but as a league and with two trophies at the end of it. T20 blast finals day with the best 4 teams in the T20 format and an overall limited overs league Champion the team with the best record overall from the various formats combined. They do this in Grade Cricket in Australia where games can count towards more than one trophy.

There'd be 4 trophies counties would compete for each season then but without adding to the volume of cricket.

County Championship 16 matches
Limited overs League 16 matches (4 40 overs games + 10 T20 games + 2 50 overs games)
Standalone T20 Blast Finals Day (competed for by the 4 sides with best T20 records)
Knockout Cup (Round of 32, Round of 16, Quarter Finals, Semi Finals, Lord's Final)

Super Moderator

Surrey, Durham and Middlesex all lost their games against NCCA teams yesterday so the ability of the lesser counties to shock their big cousins is still there.