Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/56744899

An interesting article on the BBC website. I would argue that anything that attracts people to watch Warwickshire can only be a good thing (Note I say Warwickshire and not a ridiculous Birmingham Phoenix) as a COUNTY club, we need to represent all potential cricket players and followers in our traditional boundary, whether that is people out in the shire or those in inner-city Birmingham.

Your thoughts?

Bears fan, Wolves fan, no longer a not so vital statistician...

An interesting concept, I would be intrigued to see how it was sold to the general public as well as to members and supporters.

If it’s a T20 festival then the branding for our team is Birmingham Bears so I wouldn’t expect that to change. If I’m honest I don’t really care what we are called. I don’t see it as being about representing people from Warwickshire as opposed to Birmingham. I’m not from either but it’s still my local club in the county championship. I would prefer us to just be Warwickshire across all formats but I don’t lose any sleep over being the Birmingham Bears.

The ECB seems to think that to attract new crowds cricket needs to simplify and meddle so imagine they would not be too supportive...especially as Edgbaston is not in the Home Counties.

With the known corruption in the Franchise T20 competitions, should we be getting involved at all?

First paragraph is the crucial one - to engage the different communities in Birmingham. So I would argue it's done for the right reasons. Warks have always done a fine job recruiting from the wider county but a poor job with the Asian and Caribbean communities right on our doorstep. If these games are done as part of a wider marketing effort to create better pathways from the games on the concrete football pitches in Sparkbrook to Edgbaston then bring it on. Who wouldn't want a few more Moeen Ali's?

First paragraph is the crucial one - to engage the different communities in Birmingham. So I would argue it's done for the right reasons. Warks have always done a fine job recruiting from the wider county but a poor job with the Asian and Caribbean communities right on our doorstep. If these games are done as part of a wider marketing effort to create better pathways from the games on the concrete football pitches in Sparkbrook to Edgbaston then bring it on. Who wouldn't want a few more Moeen Ali's?