Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk
Super Moderator

Signed for the Championship run-in.
https://edgbaston.com/news/warwickshire-sign-india-bowler-mohammed-siraj-for-county-championship-run-in/

On paper a great signing

Some said that about Vihari!

He's always impressed whenever I've seen him, nice to have someone who has atleast played a decent amount of international cricket.

Might end up with egg on my face or a "told you so" response but I think he will do well. Proven at a very good level, seems to have a genuine appetite for the game and it will certainly good to see someone at the other end from OHD. Well done Bears for doing something! Doing nothing will always remain an option. Fingers crossed!

Plenty of pace and hostility but I won't get to see him as there is no more CC cricket at weekends and I will not be taking and 'Sickie's' like I had to last year when an important game was being played for the title.

There are a number of fast bowlers from South Africa, Australia and New Zealand who were available.
Either Rabada or Jansen would, potentially, have been significantly better signings.
Jansen especially would have contributed with bat and ball.

Both good. However neither would been available for the Somerset game.

What is wrong with a world class Indian fast bowler Highveld?

Not sure how you can say Jansen would be a significantly better option when Siraj has proven himself to be a high quality bowler

Administrator

It’s obvious that Highveld just doesn’t like any player from India, regardless of ability.

Any bowler from South Africa would be coming in after a 3 Test series v England whereas Siraj does not appear to be playing at the moment which means he will be fresher and unlikely to be jaded.

Super Moderator

paulbear wrote:

Any bowler from South Africa would be coming in after a 3 Test series v England whereas Siraj does not appear to be playing at the moment which means he will be fresher and unlikely to be jaded.

Not to mention the fact that, a fortnight after the end of the Test series in England, South Africa start a tour of India so the chances of any of their bowlers being released to play county cricket are either slim or none; and as Don King once said, Slim just left town.

Any bowler coming in from a series of matches completed in under 3 full days play is likely to not only be fully fit, but in top form and ready to play!

I’m very 50/50 on this. He impressed on the original Indian tour but that was against a very poor England side, with zero confidence.

But, he is consistent, has the extra pace that can cause havoc, and is an intelligent cricketer. Time will tell, and results will be the ultimate factor.