Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk

Live scores link

https://live.nvplay.com/ecb/#m49304a82-62e0-4ae7-a71b-8379ee4dfd52

Second team doing as well as the Firsts!
Crap batting (possibly with the exception of Maddy) and crap bowling (except for Garrett and Norwell).

Johal presumably will soon be out of the door. George G probably done enough in the RLC and the Seconds, to warrant another year.

"You can take the boy out of Atherstone, but you can never take Atherstone out of the boy !"
"The Bears and the (footballing) Foxes for ever !"

Johal signed a 3 year deal in April didn't he?

Andy wrote:

Johal signed a 3 year deal in April didn't he?

I didn't know it was such a long extension, but if it was, its just another example of the complete ineptitude of the current management. Johal didn't have a good season last year, after he signed his first (1 year) professional contract. A few, mainly inconsequential, appearances in the RLC. But this season has been a complete disaster for him. A few (expensive) wickets in the Seconds (just one decent game, when he did get a 'fivefor', mainly against tailenders I think ?) and no First team outings at all.

I think, just another example of a promising Academy bowler, bu**ered up by First team Coaching?!

"You can take the boy out of Atherstone, but you can never take Atherstone out of the boy !"
"The Bears and the (footballing) Foxes for ever !"

I’m not sure I’d be writing Johal off after one poor season.
I thought he was pretty good last year. Didn’t set the world alight but more than held his own and didn’t look out of place when in the first team.

I’d more ask, why have so many of our bowlers taken a step backwards.
You’d argue the only 2 that haven’t are Norwell and OHD. And Norwell hasn’t been available. It’s noticeable they’re the most experienced, so coaching probably has the least impact on them.

Is this the impact of the new bowling coach? Maybe a full off season is needed rather than the turning up after the start of the season. Hard to work on things during the season. Not ideal to not have a top bowling coach in the off season, and pretty poor by Robinson to push Welch out the door.

Super Moderator

Northants are giving Warwickshire an absolute hammering.

Pretty strong Northants side

The role of Mo Sheikh as 2nd team bowling coach has to be looked at, none of the seam bowlers have done well in the second team this year, or made any real progression towards claiming a first team place.

Perhaps the decision of Farbrace to leave will lead to a revision of the coaching staff, especially the bowling coaches.

Super Moderator

A defeat by an innings and 277 runs is more than a little bit shocking and not to be explained by the fact that Northants put out a reasonably strong side·

Particularly as we were top of the 2nd Xi championship going into this game

Lots of mitigating factors alongside strength of Northants and one to take into account at that age is contract situations this time of year and the general instability around the club at present

I wonder if next week's home game might feature some fringe first team players who need a score or tune up like Northants did with a few here. Several who've been away with the circus last month or so and not got much of a game thinking Sam Hain

I see our U18 side are also heading to a heavy defeat.

https://worcscb.play-cricket.com/website/results/4997182

Moeen Ali's cousin with a big hundred there. I imagine Worcs will declare leaving Warks a big total to win today. If they had Hamza, Maddy and Amir I'd give them half a sniff but looks a tall order

Super Moderator

The Club's report seems to take the approach of the less said, the better:
https://edgbaston.com/fixtures/second-xi/northamptonshire-second-xi-vs-warwickshire-second-xi-29-august-2022/#match-match-reports
It also glosses over the fact that, in addition to Norwell, Garrett, Ethan Brookes and Johal played, all of whom are bowlers with first team experience.
The lack of progress amongst the young bowlers must be staring the senior coaching staff in the face.