Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk

Thought I'd start the thread for the Essex game.

Can we build on the win at Trent Bridge?
What team changes do you expect to see?

Highveld wrote:

Thought I'd start the thread for the Essex game.

Can we build on the win at Trent Bridge?
What team changes do you expect to see?

Mousley to start to cover for Sibley? What's happened to Henry Brookes? Perhaps he comes in as well?

Administrator

Also maybe Liam Norwell could return? Not sure who for though.

with the seam bowlers it does seem to be a casre of selecting who best compliments OHD & Bresnan.
If Stone is fit he has to play as his extra pace gets wickets and creates pressure.

I think Stone will be left out on ECB orders. They’ll be controlling the number of overs he bowls. Which suits us reasonably well as it allows us to manager Norwell too.

If Malan does have a visa now and can get tested etc in time he has to come in. If not, Mousley in for Sibley. Go with more batting again until the pitches start to get flatter.

It's a good thing I suppose that we are playing Essex after a win. Hopefully that will give us a lift because let's face it, Essex seem to be able to win from anywhere.

Our batting options look pretty limited with Mousley and Hose the only contenders, assuming that Malan won't be an option and that Pollock is still seen as a white ball only player. On that basis, I'd expect Mousley to replace Sibley and agree that Stone is likely to be rested, which opens the door for Norwell again. I would like to see Henry Brookes back in the team although other than brining him in for Yates I can't see that being an option as things stand.

It's certainly going to be a tough ask against Essex but the team will be buoyed by yesterday's amazing victory which will surely give them massive self-belief and confidence, long may it continue!

Has anyone said officially that Stone is being rested, specifically, for England this early season period? I get Woakes being managed seeing as he has a long term injury and is actually likely to play Tests this summer - if he ever gets out of quarantine that is. Stone I can't see is anything more than third choice fast bowler to take their turn after Archer and Wood.

Any team news yet for Essex?

Only that Sibley is definitely out for the next 2 matches.

13 man Squad:-

Rhodes, Bresnan, Briggs, Henry Brookes, Burgess, OHD, Hain, Lamb, Miles, Mousley, Stone, Vihari & Yates.

Norwell must be injured.

I'd guess Henry B would miss out, but I can't guess who would be the other ? I suppose, one question would be, who would open with Rhodes - (the usual) Yates or (the gamble) Mousley - and one of them could be out ? Alternatively, they could both play and Miles might be out ?

"You can take the boy out of Atherstone, but you can never take Atherstone out of the boy !"
"The Bears and the (footballing) Foxes for ever !"

Yates to open and Mousley to go 6 for me.

Super Moderator

Preview from the Essex perspective:
https://www.essexcricket.org.uk/2021/04/21/match-preview-warwickshire-v-essex-3/

Rhodes, Yates, Vihari, Hain, lamb, mousley, Burgess, Bresnan, Stones, Briggs, OHD

I do think Bresnan could play at 7 but only if you have a strong top six which we obviously don't have at this stage.

I'd like to go for Brookes over Mousley but don't think we can at the moment.

Official Preview from the club

https://edgbaston.com/fixtures/first-xi/warwickshire-v-essex-22-april-2021/#match-match-previews

Norwell has a heel injury, hopefully back soon. He is somewhat injury prone? A lot of promise but rarely fit for a sustained period.

Super Moderator

Saying that Norwell is somewhat injury prone is like saying that the Pope has slight leanings towards Catholicism. It's frustrating because he obviously has a lot of ability.

As a very famous, and successful, american football coach said may years ago,
"part of your ability is the ability to be on the field"

Over the years the club has invested too much time and money on players who were available signigicantly less time than they were injured.

fingers crossed for a good day, going to miss the Notts coverage !

Youtube live stream
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Czev1GS6RuE
Live scores
https://live.nvplay.com/ecb/#mfb89a040-afa7-468e-a071-ea97913d3fda

Miles in for Sibley