Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk
Super Moderator

Paul Farbrace's job being advertised, though I thought he was called Director of Sport, a title I never quite understood.
https://edgbaston.com/news/vacancy-director-of-cricket/
It sets the expectations pretty high - I'm surprised that there is no mention of walking on water or being able to achieve wonders with loaves and fishes.

Terry reading through the job description I think he/she needs higher qualifications than that you describe!!!!!!!!!!

Shall I apply, I am not too happy in my job at the moment and I at least could disagree on some of the team selections to shake things up a bit. I would as my first assignment, insist we give a bloke called Lamb, a game and ask why a bloke called Davies keeps being picked. The latter has played some of the most unbelievably poor shots I have ever seen in over 45 years of watching this wonderful game.

Anyone else notice Ashley Giles’ car in the main car Park at Edgbaston? It’s been there Monday, Tuesday and today. Mmmm.

Malc does that mean Paul has got competition? !!

If it does there is only 1 winner. I have my suit ready and will shortly iron my shirt and get out my best tie.

Malc wrote:

Anyone else notice Ashley Giles’ car in the main car Park at Edgbaston? It’s been there Monday, Tuesday and today. Mmmm.

It would be fantastic to have Gilo back where he belongs. https://www.thecricketer.com/Topics/countycricket/ashley_giles_talks_county_cricket_warwickshire_worcestershire.html

I wouldn't be keen. He's left Warwickshire twice already.

Nowhere else for him to go this time.

I also think he’d be good as his experience with the ECB and Strauss would mean he’d be much less likely to go along with ECB nonsense. And as a true bear, he’d have the best interests of the county at heart.

I just don't think you deserve to come back after having left us twice!

It is not about "deserveing", it is essential the best candidate for the job is appointed, regardless of their ethnic background.

Director of cricket is not a role where fitting "diversity quota's" should be placed above ability to do the job.

Super Moderator

Would having the King of Spain in post help the diversity quota?

Probably not, as some here didn't accept that Jacob Bethell increased the diversity of the team!

Left the Bears twice for jobs both of which he ended up getting sacked from? Left us in the lurch a little bit 2nd time round too. That ain't the best candidate.

One person I do not want as DoC is Robinson. It sounds like he has upset so many at the club (and now not at the club - eg Pop Welch - or soon to be gone) and this disaster of a season must be a lot down to him.

"You can take the boy out of Atherstone, but you can never take Atherstone out of the boy !"
"The Bears and the (footballing) Foxes for ever !"

I would suggest that people read the full job description pack.

It is not a "hands on" coaching role, but a senior board level one, setting strategies and structures.

Have read it, yes.

Don't really want him back as he just appeared to want a bigger and bigger job and his handling of the 2014 T20 world cup when he continued to veto the picking of Jade Dernbach (14 runs per over) was nothing short of stupid and ridiculous. It is not always a good idea to go back but for a 3rd time, no thanks.

He clearly doesn't respect the role/club enough.

Super Moderator

I haven't seen any recent news about this appointment - but just to say that I heard Ashley Giles speak at a Cheltenham Cricket Society meeting last night and he neither confirmed nor denied that he might be coming back to Edgbaston as Director of Cricket! All he said was that he wanted his next job to be his last, that it might be in cricket or elsewhere; and the counties that he mentioned were Warwickshire, Lancashire and Surrey. What is clear is that he is now actively looking for a job after taking a break; and also that, unlike Farbrace, he would be quite happy with a role that is not hands-on but more strategic.
He was scathing about the Strauss review and how it was conducted and I get the impression that there is no love lost between him and the ECB.