Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk

Unbelievable. I was there when Woakes took 9-31 v Durham but he had to go off on England duty and we lost. Put this performance ahead of that because of just 139 to win and really, no one else looking likely to win it. If Liam is looking to get pissed tonight then he at least knows he won't have to spend a single penny. That was astonishing and only wish I was there. I could have skived off work but I did that last year for the Somerset game. If you think about it, it might have been the best thing to get bowled out because if we'd set 180-200, the game would have taken a bit longer and the light could have been a factor seeing as it was not exactly scorching sunshine when they finished. Still cannot believe it and it's been a great day having earlier booked my ticket for Roger Waters in May 2023.

The_Lickey_Banker wrote:
It was an amazing result and one of the best bowling performances in recent history (LN deserves every plaudit), but I sincerely hope Management don’t hold this up as a triumph for their selections (in this and other games). We got out of jail, by the skin of our teeth and without that one man, we'd be well and truly bu**ered.

The powers that be MUST learn from the huge mistakes they've made. They must listen to Members and hold their hands up for major changes to Coaching structure, selection policy, contract negotiations and Captaincy choice. Only then will Norwell's efforts be properly rewarded.

So well said TLB. This must be a wake up call for Management and not (just) a celebration.

"You can take the boy out of Atherstone, but you can never take Atherstone out of the boy !"
"The Bears and the (footballing) Foxes for ever !"

Just a word for Will Rhodes, who has taken some stick on here this year. You don't win such a tight, tense finish without a captain who can hold his nerve. Good calls in this game. Well done, mate.

Odd end of season game.

Surprised when I arrived game on. Even so when I felt grass at lunch and it was still damp. But for Edgbaston having test status would match have started on time.

Memories of match

Too small target score and Warwickshire not going for it

Keith Barker being applauded by city end as he took a stroll around in afternoon. Had visions of him hitting winning runs, thankfully not. And announcer yesterday leaving mike on and swearing about first ball to said player and umpires briefly holding up game.

But most of all gradual fall of wickets never thinking it would end in victory.

But above all a big well done to Mr Norwell

Super Moderator

The BBC get it both right and wrong:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/63075267
(And in case the link gets corrected, it reads: "Warwickshire (21 pts) beat Yorkshire (4 pts) by five runs".

Dom Sibley's last game for us and his 77 played a big part in the win. He was not always popular but his record with us was good and I wish him the best of luck as long as he doesn't score many if he plays against us. He was a stable source at the beginning of the innings on many occasions and I think he will be glad to leave us on a winning note and I reckon will be very pleased we didn't go down in his last appearance.

Who will replace Dom Sibley?? We need to sort the batting....

Super Moderator

Lots of questions to be answered.
In the meantime:
https://deepextracover.com/2022/09/lv-county-championship-warwickshire-v-hampshire-day-four/

We do and it is important we go with a sensible approach and not leaving people like Lamb out and playing players who just are not cutting it. The management have to take responsibility for who they pick and stop picking players who constantly fail. If we do get any players from other counties, we need to get proven performers. We made the mistake years ago in getting Porterfield who hadn't even done much in division 2 for Gloucestershire and that sort of choice is not good enough.

Super Moderator

I think we can conclude that Yorkshire are not taking it well:
https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/cricket/yorkshire-ccc-a-club-relegated-and-a-club-destroyed-chris-waters-3861999

Administrator

GerryShedd wrote:

I think we can conclude that Yorkshire are not taking it well:
https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/cricket/yorkshire-ccc-a-club-relegated-and-a-club-destroyed-chris-waters-3861999

Couldn’t happen to a nicer club!

Administrator

I think it’s all been said already, but what a game and what an advert for the county championship. I watched the conclusion in my office here in the US and was jumping around at the end. Weirdly similar to the end of the last game last season but for very different reasons.

As has been said, the hard work starts now. We need to strengthen both the bowling and batting, and probably look at the coaching as well. Let’s hope we can start the search for a leading overseas pro a bit earlier this time as well. The arrival of Barnard and Moeen (if he plays in the championship) should help.

Liam Norwell, I love you!

Is this the first time trouble at Yorkshire is not coupled with the name of a certain Geoffrey Boycott !!

Tremendous advert for the county championship. If the board and committee fail to see the value of 2 division county championship cricket after that well then I have no more to offer and I will give up following cricket forever.

No sign of the committee whatsoever until that final wicket but afterwards there they all were applauding ecstatically - and so they should be

They know or at least have some sense now of what it means and what they must do with the ridiculous bloody Strauss review

Word for the captain too. Has racked his brain all season trying to fashion 20 wickets and bloody well managed it today. Even that short break he gave Norwell when he brought himself on for 3/4 overs could well have been crucial. OHD as well has anyone totted up his overs bowled in the season yet? Must be 460 ish? What a legend!!!

mad wrote:

Tremendous advert for the county championship. If the board and committee fail to see the value of 2 division county championship cricket after that well then I have no more to offer and I will give up following cricket forever.

No sign of the committee whatsoever until that final wicket but afterwards there they all were applauding ecstatically - and so they should be

They know or at least have some sense now of what it means and what they must do with the ridiculous bloody Strauss review

Just to put the record straight re your point about committee members, Paul Warren was there all day, Ibrar Hussain after tea and I came down about 1:30. I have been to pretty much every day of every home game despite still working, so sometimes come down after lunch, sometimes book a full days leave.

It was a magnificent effort by the team, particularly OHD and Norwell. I gather Norwell wasn’t fully fit so even more amazing. A good article by George Dobell about Norwell in the Cricketer and it’s not hidden behind the paywall.

Apologies poor phrasing on my part I didn't intend that to sound negative - I meant it was great to see them all out on that balcony at the very end which it was. They'd not have wanted to jinx things beforehand. Great to see them enjoy the moment just like us members on the opposite side

Definitely wasn't having a dig it simply struck me at the time that here at long last was a rare moment of united joy at the club rare indeed in these times of heightened anxiety for all manner of reasons. Evrn the sight of Matt Lamb and Michael Burgess, Graham Welch and Keith Barker going for a stroll around the ground during the day added to this sense.

Will be watching highlights of that for a week and possibly again at xmas if there's nowt on

Super Moderator

Good to see Stingray posting. Here's the article by George that she mentioned:
https://www.thecricketer.com/Topics/countychampionship/warwickshire_hampshire_liam_norwell_makes_amends_i_was_the_man_get_us_over_the_line.html
It's not just county cricket that comes out of yesterday well, it's those who write about it - some really good articles such as George's plus Ali Martin in The Guardian, who points out that there were 16,000 watching on-line, not bad for a Thursday afternoon.
George mentions comparisons with Botham bowling England to victory in 1981. I was there that day - I'm still trying to find the hat that I lost in the excitement. To that occasion, I would add last year's final day Championship win and yesterday as highlights of my Edgbaston memories.
I'll shut up for the winter (or for an hour or so) after just adding praise for a couple of others - Will Rhodes who has been so heavily criticised on here but who made the bold declaration on day two and also told Liam Norwell in no uncertain terms to keep bowling when he wanted to go off. And Gary Barwell and his staff who got the ground fit for play despite the rain and who also produced a pitch that was ok to bat on but gave the bowlers just that bit of help that they needed.

Cheers for that - some lovely writing about the game isn't there

Wasn't there for Botham 81 but was at the MCG in 98 for what was the longest day AND the longest session in test history - Dean Headley and Darren Gough skittling the auld enemy leaving Steve Waugh stranded. I think for pure drama, situation of the match/season and importance Norwell 2022 tops even that great day