Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk

Probably the last Div 1 game for the club until 2024, if not later.

What changes would people like to see from the team at Bristol?

I'd start by sugegsting that Lamb and Burgess return to the side, with the omission of Yates and Davies.

If Burgess is not available, I'd recall Chris Benjaming to keep wicket.

Not sure that any of Sidebottom, Garrett or Johal are good enough for first team cricket, so perhaps try to get someone in on a short term loan.

Bethell should be dropped. How stupid to not pick Burgess and Lamb for Gloucs. They should certainly return for this last game. Siraj should return, or will he be "unavailable" again? I'm sure he'd have made the difference at Gloucs and we'd most likely have won. Woakes not playing a single red ball game is annoying, and Olly Stone the same. Even Norwell has barely played and is injured yet again.

I'd bring in Lamb for Bethell and Burgess for Yates.

As poor as Davies has been the rest of the season, he has to stay in the side for his knock in the second innings.

Assuming Siraj won't be available again, I would bring Johal in on the basis Sidebottom and Garrett are both out of contract, and neither should be renewed imo, so may as well give the lad who will be here next year a game.

Big if but to stay up we need to score much quicker than normal and try and get over 400 in our first innings, maybe Hants will be less motivated now they can't win the titie. Straw clutching I know!

https://twitter.com/leadingedgepod/status/1573245849920229376?s=21&t=cRNMqaGjYgPquANwt9J1jA
Interesting graphic here. We’re below the average in terms of players batting averages. And as a side have the worst batting strike rate too.

https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/records/averages/batting_bowling_by_team.html?id=14444;team=1479;type=tournament

Burgess and Lamb are the only recognised batsmen at a strike rate above 50.

We must hammer Hants with maximum points and hope that Kent or Yorkshire get hammered.

It's not happening

Pivotal session was on day three last week when Somerset dug in for their second innings and didn't allow Siraj or OHD to blow them away for a second time.

Warwick Somerset Notts all flaky sides that could go either way. If Somerset have a bit more of Craig Overton around next season they might be up the other end of Div 1 especially if they add a top overseas bowler.

Of course it might suit the ECB to relegate Yorkshire with a points deduction which could yet save Warwickshire. Yorkshire you'd think would have a far better chance of an instant return or at most within two seasons would return to the top tier.

Mikkyk wrote:

As poor as Davies has been the rest of the season, he has to stay in the side for his knock in the second innings.

Assuming Siraj won't be available again, I would bring Johal in on the basis Sidebottom and Garrett are both out of contract, and neither should be renewed imo, so may as well give the lad who will be here next year a game.

I agree with much of that Mikkyk. Davies probably needs to be kept in as a batter. Lamb and Burgess SHOULD be back for Yates and Bethell, but I'm not holding my breath.

But I don't think Johal deserves a place, he's had a poor season for the 2nds. I'd probably stick with Sidebottom (not least because it almost certainly be Ryan's last game for us, but he's never really let us down and given the lack of chances he's had recently, I think he deserves a fond farewell).

And I wonder if Lintott might be given a red ball run out, in place of Briggs. JL has been Captaining in the 2nds Championship recently (and getting a lot of wickets, cheaply), so Management must feel he can do the 'proper stuff' - and Briggs has hardly done much with the ball this season.

"You can take the boy out of Atherstone, but you can never take Atherstone out of the boy !"
"The Bears and the (footballing) Foxes for ever !"

The points deduction for Yorkshire is way, way overdue. Presumably it is being kept back until the ECB are sure that it won't hurt them.

Bald_Reynard wrote:

Mikkyk wrote:

I agree with much of that Mikkyk. Davies probably needs to be kept in as a batter. Lamb and Burgess SHOULD be back for Yates and Bethell, but I'm not holding my breath.

But I don't think Johal deserves a place, he's had a poor season for the 2nds. I'd probably stick with Sidebottom (not least because it almost certainly be Ryan's last game for us, but he's never really let us down and given the lack of chances he's had recently, I think he deserves a fond farewell).

And I wonder if Lintott might be given a red ball run out, in place of Briggs. JL has been Captaining in the 2nds Championship recently (and getting a lot of wickets, cheaply), so Management must feel he can do the 'proper stuff' - and Briggs has hardly done much with the ball this season.

I'd stay with Sidebottom for Hampshire. In his last game for the 2nd's, a couple of weeks ago, he took 6 for 28, off 8 overs. In fact, it was his only game for the Seconds, as he was playing for Derbyshire (1st's) in the first half of the season and then got injured. I think he deserves one last chance for us - I'm sure he will be leaving soon - he has never really let us down and on occasion, has been devastating. I remember his 6 for 35 (and 10 for 96 overall) in the match against Northants in 2018.

Johal has had a terrible season for the 2nd's - bowled in 13 innings and taken just 13 wickets, at an average of 60 ! If we hadn't given him a 3 year contract recently (one of the many crazy Management decisions this year !), he would surely have been on his way now.

'The only good banker, is the Lickey Banker!'

The table doesn’t lie, we are going to get what our performances deserve. This situation should never have happened, individually we are better than this, possibly not great, but better than this. Injuries, players not being available, extraordinary selection decisions, woeful captaincy, I would love a sit down with one of the squad who chose to explain this season to me.

I just wish I didn't care, but I have done since 1961 and care just as much in 2022 as I did then, too old to grow out of it. Sadly, I am not convinced all of those departing at the end of the season or even some who remain, care half as much.

I know exactly what you mean. It kills me to see us play this badly and this is the time when I have to ask myself if it is worth having a membership as the people who pick our side do not seem to want to change things if they go wrong. Add to this, the fact that none of us know what format we will have for 2024-25 seasons, I am unsure if I would commit to buying a 3-year membership knowing that I could pay more for those 2 seasons and not knowing how many days I could watch. I will definitely get a membership for next season but if Strauss gets his way then I might have to think about breaking my 34 year membership which would seem strange to me. It will be interesting to see if Moeen Ali plays for us in the CC. If he keeps up with his "I have now changed my mind and want to play Tests again", then he has to play in the CC where his bowling record is not good and he seems reluctant to have a bowl.

I’m sure I read somewhere that Moheen had been offered a pay as you play deal for CC cricket.

Super Moderator

Malc wrote:

I’m sure I read somewhere that Moheen had been offered a pay as you play deal for CC cricket.
Yes, pay as you play for red ball:
https://edgbaston.com/news/warwickshire-sign-moeen-ali-on-three-year-contract/

Thought I’d pop online and see the squad for tomorrow. Still nothing at 20 past 6 the evening before.
Every other side has announced their squad for the final match, other than us. The level of communication with supporters this year has been appalling and getting ever worse.

Super Moderator

Team news here:
https://edgbaston.com/fixtures/first-xi/warwickshire-vs-hampshire-26-september-2022/
The Michael Burgess question remains unanswered. And no Yadav in the squad.

Maybe they’re personal reasons regarding Burgess and Lamb.

Yet again Yates, average 11.93 is selected.

Henry Brooks has scored more runs at a better average this season, from less innings!

Yadev has been recalled by the BCCI

I’m certain it is personal for Lamb and Burgess. But not as in a death in the family or mental health.
It’s that Robinson doesn’t fancy them as people. Which is pretty pathetic.

Professional sport is supposed to be the ultimate meritocracy. Doesn’t matter who you are, if you perform, that’s all that counts. There’s no way that’s been the case this season with the bears.

I am now finally, officially and unusually totally lost for words, well almost! .......... their PR is abysmal, for God's sake just tell us what is going on, I just think they have all given up and can't wait for the season to end, which is quite a co-incidence so do I.