Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk

Bonus tonight would've been. Remains a tall order. Pressure will be on to get round quickly between overs so can keep Norwell or Henry on for longer spells if they get on some sort of streak. Spin could come into it but by time they're on Hants would likely be near saving the follow on. Target will be to roll them for 200 in two sessions then like Somerset game Day 3 last season score quickly in the final session so we can pull out early-ish on day 4

Didn't see the end, what's this drop?

Administrator

Felix Organ dropped fourth ball by Hain(?). It was a pretty regulation slip catch

I just fear that the pitch is too good. It doesn’t look easy to get wickets.
It’s been damp, overcast, play constantly interrupted and we only lost 4 wickets. Usually that’s a recipe for wickets and lots of them.
The reality is simple, 2 days, to take 20 wickets, for less than probably 400 runs. There won’t be time in the game to score more than about 120 extra runs in a second innings.

I wonder if Hampshire could be convinced into making a very sporting declaration.

Hampshire interest is likely to be in setting up their own chance of effecting an innings victory. They'll look to bat big put 450 on the board and bowl us out after lunch on day 4.

That could play into Bears hands although we'll have to have their first innings wrapped up not long after tea. Even if Hants reach parity Bears could potentially bat quickly for 30 overs on Day 4 and set something like 180/190 to win in 2 sessions

Dream scenario will be knock em over for not much more than 230 then rack up 150 before close, add 50 more on Day 4 then declare setting Hants 240 ish to win in about 70 overs

Hants only need 4 points (I think) to secure runners up slot. So they will be happy to play out a draw or score over 300 in first innings.

200 overs is a long way off to be settling for a draw. Irrespective of the league situation Hants really have very little to play for other than the chance to record another win at Edgbaston like they did last year. Restricting a side to 270 on first innings in what is now effectively a three-day game and at a ground like Edgbaston is an ideal situation for any side going into bat second. With pressure off there is no doubt a powerful batting side like Hants could score 400 in a day steadily picking up the run rate as Will Rhodes tries to rotate his seamers into their 3rd and 4th spells given all the overs available tomorrow and with that short Pershore Road square boundary especially if Warwickshire don't get the rub of the green early on.

It'll be like proper red ball cricket probably up to tea time but if Hants are still batting they will go 50-over mode themselves after tea, try to enjoy themselves. The remainder of the game will be played like 50 over cricket on day 4 with run rates up and wickets tossed away with abandon. Can't wait personally I just hope the rain keeps off. I'd given the season up but can you just imagine???

Of course this pitch could have some surprises in store for us and if Hants are desperate to just get the season over with and get off on their holidays you never know the mentality side of it could get to them. Just have to hope our three seamers have a great day and Rhodes, Briggs or one of the youngsters can chip in. Warks will set a target if they are able to. It might even end up being almost tokenistic 135 to win off 40 overs or something like that

So lunch on Day 3. Hampshire only 151 behind with 5 in hand. Vince looks very good too. Problem is going to be how long we need to bat for again. Even if they only scored another 50-75 runs. We’d need to go bat for about a session to put on another 100-150 to actually have something defendable.
And that risks the weather on day 4, which is looking dodgy at best.

It may of course all be academic. Yorkshire are 36-1 at lunch, 240 would get them the tie that would keep them safe. So only 204 runs off. It could be very close.

BristolBear wrote:

So lunch on Day 3. Hampshire only 151 behind with 5 in hand. Vince looks very good too. Problem is going to be how long we need to bat for again. Even if they only scored another 50-75 runs. We’d need to go bat for about a session to put on another 100-150 to actually have something defendable.
And that risks the weather on day 4, which is looking dodgy at best.

It may of course all be academic. Yorkshire are 36-1 at lunch, 240 would get them the tie that would keep them safe. So only 204 runs off. It could be very close.

I think it fair to say, nearly an hour after Lunch in our game, that a draw is looking the most likely outcome. Especially, with possible weather (rain or bad light) intervention. And Yorkshire look reasonably set for a win, though even if Gloucester get their act together and claim victory, it would make no diference for us.

So, Division 2, here we come?!

Edit: I had forgotten of course, that the Yorkies could be hit by the long speculated Points deduction. Depending on that happening (and it being a sizeable forfeit), a draw in our game and defeat for them, COULD save us. I'm not holding my breath though !

"You can take the boy out of Atherstone, but you can never take Atherstone out of the boy !"
"The Bears and the (footballing) Foxes for ever !"

Super Moderator

At one stage this morning, I definitely thought that I could hear Steve McQueen revving up his motorbike; but now I'm not so sure.

I feel this will be a draw resulting in relegation. The bowling attack lacks sufficient potency to take another 14 wickets with time running out. Would've been useful to have Stone, Woakes, and what happened to Siraj? Yadav recalled to international duty. What a poor deal to sign these two Indian bowlers, Siraj & Yadav, which is too heavily weighted in India's favour. Supposedly they signed for these last 3 crucial matches and ended up missing the majority, particularly Siraj who's absence at Gloucs has most likely relegated the Bears.

Ironic it is Barker holding us up with Vince

Administrator

Still 41 over left today (light permitting). More of the problem will be that Yorkshire only need 90 more with 4 wickets left.

This is just not going to happen

They have 4 wickets left and are now only 15 behind. A reasonable lead going into the last knockings of day 3 and we will be done for.

Once again we cannot seem to take wickets further on into an innings, it has hurt us all season as has our batting.

Yorkshire have lost a 7th wicket. Still needing 84 to tie!
Problem is, it’s supposed to start raining heavily tonight and well into tomorrow morning. Supposedly until around 11 or 12. So to then get the ground ready, put a score in the board and bowl them out, time looks far too tight.

I’m not holding my breath on the points deduction for Yorkshire, for the simple reason that the ECB screwed it up too. So if they punish Yorkshire with points, they’ll be turning the spotlight on themselves. I also expect Yorkshire would appeal, or the points deduction wouldn’t come into effect until next season.

And now Hants lead

I know we had to declare due to weather taking time out of the game but we now have too much to do.

Just watch Gloucs beat Yorkshire as well, leaving it in our own hands.

Just checked tomorrow's weather on the 'Met Office' site and it looks fine for Edgbaston. Hampshire must have been miffed last season after they had beaten us and then were 1 wicket away from the title and so I doubt they want to give us anything and will be playing this seriously knowing they will at some point get a target tomorrow afternoon and it could be a smallish one.

One good session, followed by two poor ones. Story of the season that we can't put good sessions back to back

Barker getting 76 just adds to the pain really.

Administrator

Well, we’ve just about kept ourselves in this one. About 25 overs left today (potentially, although it’ll probably be cut short again). 100 runs tonight at 5 an over, then another hundred tomorrow to set Hampshire about 180? It really is amazing how similar the setup is to the last game against Somerset last season…