Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk

Gloucestershire briefly rebuilding their innings after being 0-1 will have given them a brief filip

If the maths??? now says Warks need 3 batting points plus 3 bowling points and force the win then it's 300+ then declare before close tonight rather than dash for 400 as there's little point in extra batting points - time becomes more the issue so they'll certainly be getting through their overs speedily tomorrow so there's at least a chance of 104 overs + 96 on Thursday

Administrator

As Yorkshire only got 3 bonus points, I’m pretty sure we now just need to win, as long as Yorkshire lose.

Provided we bowl Hamps out first innings which we should.

14 overs to the new ball. Declare once the old ones been used up? Get these two or three down over night and it could be a decent day tomorrow at least until the result from Headingley comes through

Perhaps maybe declare at tea to avoid losing the overs between innings

There will be further rain which''ll bring about tea or close of play

Amazing improv from Dan Mouseley here

Should we declare now and have the rest of the day to get a few wickets?

I don't know the exact maths? Is 5 bonus points plus 16 for the win 21 enough to overhaul Yorkshire should they lose collecting 3 points?

I'd probably still go on give our bowlers two sets of 70 overs (15 maybe tonight then bowl em out before tea tomorrow) to try and bowl Hants out twice that could mean setting 325/330 then praying we bowl them out in 70 overs then bat for a session then stick them in again.

We won't get stung for over rates will we cos we're gonna be aiming to get as many overs in as possible so Maybe 21 points is already enough but ideally want to get 50 more runs before declaring???

We were 15 behind Yorks before this round of games started. Yorks getting 3 bowling puts them 18 ahead. Assuming they then lose and Warks win then us having 2 batting points already means we only need 1 bowling point to put us ahead of Yorks. Lots of ifs and maybe's but that's the joy of cricket

The bowling points are assumed given as they'd be accrued if we were in any sense about to force a win. Hants won't be declaring 5 down that's for sure

Unless it's suddenly all over at Headingley and we're down anyway. Wednesday after tea and Thursday could become a beer match then

Administrator

Given that the weather forecast for tomorrow and Thursday are a bit better, I don’t think we need to do anything too crazy just yet. I still think the best chance of us winning is only batting once. Also, tomorrow looks dry and given the overs lost today there’ll be 100+ overs scheduled, and we’ll be eager to get in as many as possible so might be able to get a few more in if the light holds.

Agree with this. Our chances of bowling them out twice are higher the more runs we get.

Exiled Bear wrote:

Given that the weather forecast for tomorrow and Thursday are a bit better, I don’t think we need to do anything too crazy just yet. I still think the best chance of us winning is only batting once. Also, tomorrow looks dry and given the overs lost today there’ll be 100+ overs scheduled, and we’ll be eager to get in as many as possible so might be able to get a few more in if the light holds.

It was good to see Rob Ytes show a lot of chracter and finish his season with a good innings, while it doesn't erase the many failures he's had this season, it does show he has the character, and ability to succeed.

Hopefully he has a good winter and comes back to start next season as one of our leading players.

We should be very greatful for the contribution Sam Hain has made this season, and indeed for the stupidity of the England selectors for not picking him for England.

Whichever way they go it's a massively tall order. I just think you want to have a look and see how up for it Hampshire are early tomorrow at the latest. Ploughing on to 400 to make a game safe in the old tried and trusted way might not be the best option in this circumstance. Set up some kind of game situation that Hants might fancy having a look at setting up themselves for could be a better option. The risk of course on Edgbaston's notoriously flat wickets on days 3-4 is Hants go way past our score and then bowl us out cheaply for an innings win

I guess this latest delay means we bat the rest of today and stick them in at 10.30 tomorrow see what happens?

If Yorkshire lose, they will have a total of 138 points so all we need is a 19 points victory so no need for us to use up time trying to get to 400 unless it's very, very quickly. A win will do from here even if we lost our last 6 wickets for 0 runs and won.

Sticking Hants in now would be bold but with our attack this game maybe the right call

Recall 2011 it was Hampshire's flat dead pitch and no decent spinner (Metters?) which cost us the title. Irony of ironies if our own flat pitch ended up snookering us tomorrow/Thursday

Administrator

We’ve declared!

Gloucs getting away from Yorks now and still only 5 wickets down. Looks like there will be more play tonight - but how much?

We have declared - Hants to face a few overs tonight - be great to get a couple of wickets

Administrator

I hope that drop in the first over doesn’t prove costly.