Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk
Super Moderator

Matt has joined Derbyshire:
https://edgbaston.com/news/warwickshire-batter-matt-lamb-joins-derbyshire/

How much has his development cost the club ? To let him leave just when he should be at his peak seems a terrible waste especially when you consider he was not really given a chance to prove his worth this year.

Probably has his best years ahead of him too.

If you'd have come upto me after his ton v Surrey, his 70 odd v Essex (we were in strife both times when he came to the crease, 40 for 4 etc) and the marathon knock v Northants and told me.he wouldn't be getting retained I'd have thought you were back.

Releasing decent homegrown talent, its the Warwickshire way.

For us, Bears fans, this is so sad, but for Matt, this is a great move. Mickey Arthur knows what he is doing, Derby are on the up and I'm sure Matt will be a huge success there - in all forms of the game. - he might even get to bowl more!

My only hope, is future Edgbaston Management (it can't be long before Robinson resigns, or is booted), will realise what talent they've let go and a return is on the cards. Matt is only 28 and on a 2 year contract. I'm sure he would look at 'coming home', if the offer was made, even if Derby make it to Division 1 (and given the likelihood of an even more skew-wiff CC structure that will be difficult). Test Match ground status will always give Edgbaston a few more bucks and a bit more pull (even if we go down!).

"You can take the boy out of Atherstone, but you can never take Atherstone out of the boy !"
"The Bears and the (footballing) Foxes for ever !"

Good enough for Mickey Arther but not good enough for Mark Robinson...

Effectively he is replacing Shan Mahmood at Derbyshire, hopefully he succeeds and is on a better contract.

It is very frustrating that the club is favouring an underperforming mercanry, Davies, over a local born and produced player, who is better.

So next year. Of an expected first choice XI for either championship or T20, is it only Yates left who’s a homegrown player??
I don’t count Hain as realistically he was developed elsewhere.

What you mean? Academy developed players in the first XI?

Yeah. Players we produced.

Ah right OK, well I'd have thought Dan Mousley would be in with a shout of starting, Woakes if he's fit and available, maybe Henry Brookes.

Hain has had a relationship with the club since he was 14, likewise Bethell, I think they probably just about count as academy products, they were coached and developed at Edgbaston, but yeah it's not really the same as them being locally raised from birth or early childhood and playing club cricket in the region from under 11's etc

We have seldom produced many players actually born within the county of Warwickshire in the last 40 years and it seems that when we do produce one, we let him go and no reason is given. Perhaps once Lamb has left, it would be interesting to hear what he says on the subject. CMJ once described Warwickshire as "A league of Nations..." due to its wide range of players from around the world throughout the decades.

Yet another poor management decision to let Matt go. Where are the replacements ? I'd say get rid of Robinson!

Good luck to him at Derby but we must move on.

Super Moderator

Matt isn't making much of an impact at Derbyshire so far - a shame!

GerryShedd wrote:

Matt isn't making much of an impact at Derbyshire so far - a shame!
Hoping things pick up for him- he's just coming back from a spell out with a back injury. I saw him bat for Barnt Green (49) in Birmingham League on Saturday and he still looked in a bit of discomfort to me- was surprised to see him playing in Championship game.

Shame I’m a big fan of Matt’s.
I thought he was poorly treated last year considering he had one poor match and was dropped never to be heard from again.

If they didn’t want to offer him a new deal to let Mousley or Bethell play, then fair enough. But treat him fairly during the season.