Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk

Rumoured to be on his way to us. He’s 36!

Malc wrote:

Rumoured to be on his way to us. He’s 36!

How did you pick that up Malc ?

"You can take the boy out of Atherstone, but you can never take Atherstone out of the boy !"
"The Bears and the (footballing) Foxes for ever !"

I saw it on Twitter from BBC Newcastle cricket commentator Martin Emerson. “CR has left Durham for personal reasons and is free to move elsewhere. I believe Edgbaston is his likely destination” or words to that effect.

Berkshire-Bear wrote:

I saw it on Twitter from BBC Newcastle cricket commentator Martin Emerson. “CR has left Durham for personal reasons and is free to move elsewhere. I believe Edgbaston is his likely destination” or words to that effect.

I wonder if he has done his Coaching badges and will be coming to us as the new Bowling Coach ? Reading what it says on the Cricketer News page, he is moving to a, "new challenge", but Durham will always be, "his club". Reading between the lines, that sounds to me, to say he is retiring from playing. At 36 (and if he has his badges) he could be starting his Coaching career ?

"You can take the boy out of Atherstone, but you can never take Atherstone out of the boy !"

Do we really want a rookie coach dealing with first team bowlers?

He might be a viable replacement for the second team bowling coach, but not for the first team role.

Super Moderator

Chris Rushworth states that he is leaving Durham for personal, not cricketing reasons. He might fill a role as a player for a year or so - a bowler who seems to stay fit might be a novelty.

Strange sort of move but if he does play, he can be lethal. It is though, a big risk if he is to be the new bowling coach.

Super Moderator

Coming as a player:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cricket/article-11341571/Durhams-time-leading-wicket-taker-Chris-Rushworth-makes-surprise-switch-Warwickshire.html

Is a 36 year old who couldn't get in the Durham team really the best bowler we can recruit? We need two bowlers: one left arm seamer and a genuine quick. Rushworth is neither.

If he's coming as a player/bowling coach then fair enough. He has been doing his badges and I think there's a lot to admire about his career and the way he made it in the professional game.

If it's as a player only though I think it's a really odd move. We'll see.

He played 11 games last season although did have an injury. His average was under 30 so must be an improvement in Brooks and Miles based on last seasons form.

Super Moderator

His career record is outstanding and he took 34 wickets in the Championship last year; plus he was top wicket taker for Durham in the Royal London with 12 wickets.
His recruitment is a reflection on the form and fitness of some of our current bowlers but I can see the sense in bringing in a reliable performer who is noted for always giving 100% and delivering good results.

The fans on the Durham forum seem to be universally gutted by his departure, he id clearly extremely popular and the sense I get is that he is a strong and positive influence both on and off the pitch. He may be in the twilight of his career but I think his recruitment could prove to be far more positive than might appear at first blush.

Andy wrote:

If he's coming as a player/bowling coach then fair enough. He has been doing his badges and I think there's a lot to admire about his career and the way he made it in the professional game.

If it's as a player only though I think it's a really odd move. We'll see.

I read all the reports as indicating he will be coming as a Player / Coach. I know he has finished most of his Coaching badges and the statement that he is leaving Durham to, "further a career outside playing", implies Coaching. Perhaps not as our main Bowling Coach to begin with, but I have a sneaking feeling that he will be working with Robinson on the bowling training, as well as playing, with a view to moving up full time, later.

I would put (a little !) money on his title as Player / Coach (or Assistant Coach). Of course, Trotty is Assistant Coach (Batting), perhaps they might get rid of a specific Bowling and Batting Coach - and save a bit of money be deleting those 2 posts (bye bye Frosty !). A lot of Counties have gone down the route of Assistant Coaches.

Super Moderator

I haven't seen a report that says he is leaving for a career outside playing, only that he is leaving Durham for personal reasons. Nor have I seen a report that says he is coming to Warwickshire as a player/coach. Are there any links that support those statements?
There has been no announcement on the Warwickshire site that he is joining the Club in any capacity so I suspect that the deal is not yet signed.

The Dailies Mail & Telegraph both have him coming to us. Then again, it ain't necessarily so.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cricket/article-11341571/Durhams-time-leading-wicket-taker-Chris-Rushworth-makes-surprise-switch-Warwickshire.html

Super Moderator

I think that I posted a link to that Daily Mail article. I still haven't seen anything that links him to a coaching role.

Super Moderator

....and right on cue:
https://edgbaston.com/news/record-wicket-taker-rushworth-makes-move-to-edgbaston/

Bit of a confusing signing. Huge amount to admire about him as a bowler but he hasn't played div 1 cricket since 2016? 36 years old, 2 year contract possibility of a 3rd.

I thought it certain he was coming as a player/coach. I could have understood that.

It's odd he didn't want to finish his career at Durham, I wonder what's gone on. Was he out of contract? It reads like he requested his release.

Durhams disgraceful treatment by the ECB is the reason he's been out of the top division for a few seasons. He's a true county loyal pro. Some personal issues so he wants away from the north east and Warwickshire definitely in need of strengthening their seam attack so it's an ideal fit in many ways. His experience will rub off on the youngsters around him similar to the way Bresnan did.

Warwickshire will be a decent shout for dark horses again next season just like the acquisition of Danny Briggs made us potential dark horses in 2021