Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk
Super Moderator

I thought that alcohol related partnerships were a bit passé but maybe Naked Wines is an ok sponsor:
https://edgbaston.com/news/cheers-warwickshire-and-naked-wines-toast-new-partnership/

Super Moderator

A bit worrying that three major sponsors are disappearing from English domestic cricket:
https://www.planetsport.com/cricket/news/ecb-attempting-attract-new-sponsors-ahead-busy-home-summer

Leadership at the ECB has been severely lacking. The counties are complicit too. No way should they have allowed the domestic competitions to be sidelined to such an extent. County championship was strong ten years ago and the Blast was a commercial success just 4 years ago.

We also need to look at the role of 'some' high profile players notably at the PCA and their utter failure over the racism scandals and also their seeming ongoing remit to lobby for more pay for playing less cricket.

Appointment to view and switching of formats is needed not these farty little competitions - a championship game and a limited overs game each week through the summer months you'd then have an incentive for the sponsors to sustain their interest in the game

Pre-season they play a mix of 1,2,3 day games with red and white balls but all of a sudden in the main season everything has to be in blocks. The spectator at the ground is being ignored time and again

Mad that has hit the nail on the head as to why sponsorship is hard to obtain.
I wonder if they have ever thought about having a County Championship of two divisions - 9 teams in each playing both home and away. The game could be played from Thursday through to Monday. On the Sunday afternoon however play a one day competition aimed at families and especially youngsters (Junior Bears). There would even be space in the season to have a 50 over knockout competition.

I wonder why they have never thought to try it.....................................

At this point in history we as cricket fans have still got - more or less (less for sure) - just about enough of the game that we cherish. I know some of the more seasoned fans among us can point towards 30-50 years previous and the 22+ game county championships, games to watch every weekend in the sun, something to occupy the kids once a fortnight on a Sunday, the glory days of Lord's finals etc... It's still recognisable today from those days previous - just about - I'd suggest. Still a game played by teams for a start.

But I think there is a limit that's now been reached. I do worry that in 5 or 10 years time there will be this yearning not from us but from those that never got to experience it for themselves, for something a bit more compelling than circus cricket played by zombies who've just flown in from half way round the world at the behest of state sponsored broadcasters and commercial 'partners'.

But it'll be too late to roll it back then so it is time to take a stand and that goes for members as well as non-members. February is a big month there are meetings they'll probably hold in secret that'll strip the identity of this game apart

Super Moderator

Interesting quote from Mickey Arthur in the latest edition of The Cricketer:
"I do genuinely believe that the game does itself a disservice in this country. County cricket is revered all over the world."

Everyone's getting a bit spooked about how the game is changing but in truth how many county cricketers will actually be prepared to give up their county contracts within the first class system that has brought them through to go completely freelance???

If they go freelance unless they are loaded to begin with (which means they are likely already one of the top players in the world, Joe Root, Ben Stokes etc...) they won't be able to fund their training needs, pay for net bowlers, coaches, physio's etc..., their own cover for insurance against injury.

Test cricket (and to a lesser extent first class cricket in England) remains highly lucrative to broadcasters - it is guaranteed eyeballs on a game for 7 hours a day and the people who watch it will watch it day after day and will tend to be of an age demographic with money to spend. All things T20 doesn't have as it's audience is younger and has less cash

To save test cricket overseas they need to develop a proper league for it and sell broadcasting rights jointly or in a more structured way