Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk
Administrator

A few rule changes for the new season:

• Batting bonus points will now be scored at 250, 300, 350, 400 and 450 in the first 110 overs (no change to bowling points)

• A draw will go back to being worth 5 points rather than 8

• A kookaburra ball will be used in two rounds of matches

I think changing the points for a draw makes sense. I don’t think we’ll benefit much from the batting points change if previous seasons are anything to go by!!

Maybe we will benefit from the batting points change on the basis we will still be scoring nil but other teams will be scoring less!

Not sure I agree with awarding points for 450 runs - will it encourage more "slog" batting when we could do with batsmen being encourage to "build" an innings for the benefit of the test match team

LeicesterExile wrote:

Not sure I agree with awarding points for 450 runs - will it encourage more "slog" batting when we could do with batsmen being encourage to "build" an innings for the benefit of the test match team

Don't think England are into innings building any longer!

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/apr/03/can-englands-bazball-blueprint-filter-down-into-domestic-cricket

On the cut in points for a draw, Moores insists his teams have always played to win but said: “The way I look at it, county cricket hasn’t changed – England have. So you have to think county cricket was doing something right before. Two World Cups and this run of Test wins – it is clearly producing international players. Seeing Harry Brook and Ben Duckett come in and do well ... county cricket should be getting a pat on the back. It takes enough knocks.”

Well said