Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk

Thread for our 2nd game.

If, as expected Chris Woakes plays, who do you expect to make way?

I thought Jacob Bethell did enough with bat and ball to deserve to stay in the side.

Super Moderator

Difficult to know who might drop out. If Norwell and Briggs happened to be fit again, it would make it even more difficult.
Bethell looked good in his short innings yesterday and I think it would be good for him to get a run of a few games.

We do not want to go through another season of players been allowed to fail every game with no consequences.

There are two players who have to make a significantly greater contribution if they want to remain in the side.

Any team news yet? Forecast looks a bit crap for Thursday and Friday.

Yeah if it's like this tomorrow can't see me being there till Saturday. Week off after this one. Could probably have done with that being end of April if we only get a day and a half's play against Kent

13 man squad - Woakesy in for Brookes:-
Yates
Davies
Hain
Rhodes
Barnard
Woakes
Burgess
Bethell
Rushworth
Ali
OHD
Mousley
Benjamin

I guess Mousley and Benjamin will be missing out?

"You can take the boy out of Atherstone, but you can never take Atherstone out of the boy !"
"The Bears and the (footballing) Foxes for ever !"

Bald_Reynard wrote:

13 man squad - Woakesy in for Brookes:-
Yates
Davies
Hain
Rhodes
Barnard
Woakes
Burgess
Bethell
Rushworth
Ali
OHD
Mousley
Benjamin

I guess Mousley and Benjamin will be missing out?

I'm not so sure.....how many right arm medium pacers does one side need !? Woakes for Rushworth I'd guess.

Super Moderator

Selection might depend on whether spin is likely to come into the equation. If not, Bethell might be the unlucky one, which would be a shame because I think he is a player that needs a run in the side.

Woakes for Rushworth I feel.

I think it’ll be Mousley out for Woakes.
Lowest scorer with the bat. Plus even in the very short time he was at the crease he didn’t look comfortable. Everything looked a bit frenetic.
He didn’t bowl either.

I must admit I thought this season the club might send Mousley out on loan as they did with Bethell. He hasn’t taken his few opportunities to nail down a place in the side in the last 2/3 seasons. Meaning he hasn’t been able to kick on as hoped in red ball.

Is Liam Norwell still injured? If so, a bit of a worry with the season just started. He does seem to miss a lot of cricket.

I'd go Woakes for Rushworth; Benjamin for Mousley.
Chris Rushworth's big selling point is reliability. He'll always do a job and he'll always be fit. When the others hit the treatment table, he'll be back.
With the plethora of allrounders we suddenly find ourselves having, we can afford the luxury of trying to develop a middle order batsman. Mousley did himself no favours at Taunton by batting like it was the last over of a T20. Somebody else should have a go. Promoting Bethell is an option but it looks like the management want to take a softly, softly approach with him. I'd like a look at Benjamin in red ball cricket - and you never know when we might need a third wicket-keeper!
6-9 of Barnard, Burgess, Bethell, Woakes is pretty awesome at this level.

Super Moderator

Here's my preview of the match:
https://deepextracover.com/2023/04/warwickshire-ccc-vs-kent-ccc-match-preview/
The weather seems to hold the key - let's hope the forecasters are being unduly pessimistic.

Woakes for a bowler for me. Doesn't really matter which one as if we have good luck with injuries makes sense to rotate a bit during the April / May rush. Pretty sure they will pick Mousley; his batting at Taunton made good sense given where the game was and you can't say to players be positive but you're dropped if it goes wrong. Small point but a long term bug bear of mine, it would be good if the club did a weekly injury update - does anyone know when Norwell and Briggs might be available?

An injury update would be good. And to be honest the communication and social media work from the club could improve across the board. If you look what other clubs produce weekly, we definitely seem to be lagging behind.

I think I’d still drop Mousley, because of the depth with Bethell potentially at 8, and Woakes a genuine all-rounder at this level I don’t think we’d miss the batting. Plus with the forecast predicting significant time lost again, I wonder if being able to take wickets quickly might be useful considering how the lower order held us up last week after a strong start in both innings.

Woakes for Bethell it is. I think Jacob has been a little unlucky here.

A bowling attack of 6 briskish right armers!

With no overseas yet for Kent, Gilchrist - one of their main line seamers - injured and now Quinn seemingly injured, this feels like a chance for us to post a big score.

Decent start as well so just have to hope the weather doesn't impact this game too much.

Two quick wickets down, need to consolidate.

Rob Yates has batted well this morning. As they all have to be honest, except for two poor strokes that cost wickets.

Good to see Yates get some runs seeing as there's no real alternative to him right now. Score here could set him up for the season. 100 runs in a session is good, and it's been different players that have scored at tempo this year. Hopefully it's a message across the board.

I too think it was a touch harsh on Bethell, I'd have liked to see him stay as sole left arm bowler. Though I think it's a bit ridiculous to be rotating second game, made sense to switch up the bowlers especially considering some are crocked already. Happy to eat my words if five right arm briskish run over Kent twice, mind.