Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk

Live scores
https://live.nvplay.com/ecb/#mfbf991a8-cacd-440b-ae8a-014bf3d98900

and youtube link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_5-9a6Ec-4

A key game to see if the side can bounce back after defeat at Durham.
One positive change to the side will be the first apearance of Pieter Mallan, which will strengthen the batting.
Possibly a return for Stone too.
Worcestershire have not yet won a game, and conceded over 560 runs in the first innings of their game with Essex.

Has Vihari definitely gone now?

I'd go:

Rhodes (c)
Malan
Yates
Hain
Mousley
Lamb
Burgess +
Briggs
Stone
Norwell
OHD

Preview from the club
https://edgbaston.com/fixtures/first-xi/warwickshire-v-worcestershire-6-may-2021/#match-match-previews

Squad
Rhodes (c), Bresnan, Briggs, Burgess (wk), Hannon-Dalby, Hain, Lamb, Malan, Miles, Mousley, Nowell, Stone, Yates.

Malan and Stone replace Henry Brookes and Vihari in the squad.

Highveld wrote:

Priview from the club
https://edgbaston.com/fixtures/first-xi/warwickshire-v-worcestershire-6-may-2021/#match-match-previews

Squad
Rhodes (c), Bresnan, Briggs, Burgess (wk), Hannon-Dalby, Hain, Lamb, Malan, Miles, Mousley, Nowell, Stone, Yates.

Malan and Stone replace Henry Brookes and Vihari in the squad.

I guess two M's will be the squad members left out (Miles and Mousley), with Malan and Stone coming in?

The weather forecast is not great for tomorrow morning, so an 11 start is doubtful.

"You can take the boy out of Atherstone, but you can never take Atherstone out of the boy !"
"The Bears and the (footballing) Foxes for ever !"

Super Moderator

I didn't think tomorrow's forecast was too bad but Saturday looks dire. My money is on a draw.

Team:-
Rhodes, Yates, Malan, Hain, Lamb, Burgess, Bresnan, Stone, Briggs, Norwell & OHD.

We lost the toss and will bat.

Should be the 11.00 start.

'The only good banker, is the Lickey Banker!'

No surprises with the team selection then - interested to see how Malan goes.

Despite a very heavy shower where I live, a couple of miles from the ground, around half 10, we've started on time! And started our innings considerably better than last time out.

Administrator

Well this is more like it! When was the last time we were only one wicket down at lunch after losing the toss?

This is how to build an innings. Don’t lose lots of wickets early. Stay in, take the shine off the ball, put overs in the bowlers legs and build a platform.
Apart from the 4th innings against Essex that must be our best start to an innings all year.
Just do the same after lunch. They can’t let this turn from 95-1 to 150-5. Because of the weather, looks like we’ll lose a whole day, you’ve got to think the best chance of forcing a win is batting once, put up a huge score and try to force the follow on.

Impressed with Malan so far, he looks to have a good solid technique and is looking to score.
I can see why the club signed him, from the interview posted he looks a good solid character too.

Bad error of judgement from Malan but I liked what I saw of him.

Poor dismissals for Malan, Hain & Lamb. I really don't know what Hain's improvised short sweep was meant to be? Absolutely no need to play that sort of shot at this stage. Rob Yates is showing good discipline....

Brings me to my observation of the season. Were Hain and Lamb anything to do with ropey technique?

I saw 15 mins before lunch and Malan and Yates looked to be very correct against a few balls from Leach that were right in the areas to exploit dampish May conditions.

white-lightning wrote:

Poor dismissals for Malan, Hain & Lamb. I really don't know what Hain's improvised short sweep was meant to be? Absolutely no need to play that sort of shot at this stage. Rob Yates is showing good discipline....

Hain, I think the paddle/sweep was probably on to that delivery, just poorly executed.

Lamb, fiddled at one he should have left alone which is unlike him as he usually leaves the ball so well early on in his innings.

Frustrating as it looks an OK pitch.

We're still on top though, Yates has looked majestic. Gotta be ruthless after tea now.

60/40 Bears?

Well I would say a decent day, but probably a couple of wickets too many fell for it to have been truly our day.

Kudos to Yates and it was good to see Burgess make some runs.

I’ve got the Bears slightly ahead. If you win the toss and bowl you want the side out for under 250 at the end of the day, which obviously isn’t the case. But it’s not a huge score either. Yates was excellent, Malan looked good, Burgess looked excellent as well.

Super Moderator

My take on the day was that honours were even:
https://deepextracover.com/2021/05/honours-even-after-day-one-at-edgbaston/

I think honours even is a fair analysis.

Hopefully we can get to 300+ this morning. It would nice to see Burgess get a big score to hopefully give him the confidence to crack in for the rest of the season.

With the weather forecast I think we need to try and get as many bonus points as possible.

Two centuries in an innings, it feels like that hasn’t happened for a while (I’m sure someone will correct me). Great effort by Burgess.