Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk
Super Moderator

Here's a preview from the Lancashire perspective, though they have some nice things to say about Sam Hain:
https://cricket.lancashirecricket.co.uk/news/2023-news/match-preview-birmingham-bears-vs-lancashire-lightning/

Super Moderator

Hasan Ali still out:
https://edgbaston.com/fixtures/first-xi/bears-vs-lancashire-lightning-29-may-2023/#match-match-previews

Burgess, 48 off 28 balls for Sussex after they were in trouble at 56-4, chasing 149. That's what happens when someone has a point to prove.

That’s a really impressive bowling attack to do it against too.
Think the top 3/4 sides are already starting to show.
Be amazed if at least 2 of Lancs, Surrey and ourselves weren’t at finals day.

Super Moderator

Whilst I agree that we have a decent chance of getting to Finals Day, the reality is that we have so far beaten two of the weaker teams in the Group in Yorkshire (played three, lost three) and Leicestershire (played two, lost two).
Tomorrow will be a big test.

I’ll admit if those 3 I mentioned, I’d be least surprised if it were us missing out. Especially as we have previous in screwing up.
But yet to get Moeen in.

But it does speak to our depth currently that we’ve had players like Brookes and Burgess go on loan in different formats and perform very well.

Live scores etc
https://live.nvplay.com/ecb/#m61ad93a7-5333-42d3-b93b-cb9f1ef0778c_~scorecard

What stunning catches !!!! Who would have bet on the "best team" being bowled out for less than a ton.

I might just be a sceptic, but as fantastic as that was. It terrifies me for later in the competition.
Especially when they get Salt, Gleeson and Butler back in.

Just hope this isn’t a peak too early sort of season (again).

Here I am sitting down in sunny Halesowen expecting at this time to be usually making my way out of the ground. That was not exactly part of the plan and after losing the toss, I was expecting a decent Lancs score and then their spinners to do some damage but they were lucky it wasn't a 10wicket win as we threw our wickets away. On one hand the club will be very pleased but an accountant would say, "All those people going out of the ground early, how many of them would buy an expensive £5 beer". Some great catches and drops but we will take that and now for a cold inexpensive beer in my own garden. Enjoy the rest of your Bank Holiday everyone.

Very impressive performance. As were the previous two. Great stuff.

Administrator

I would say that this is the best T20 team we have had for many years, particularly in terms of squad depth.

Only Henry B disappointed. I do think he needs to be left out, I guess he would be if Hasan was fit (if he's still out for the next match, I think OHD's 'economy bowling' is worth a go - even at the expense of his No 11 batting).

"You can take the boy out of Atherstone, but you can never take Atherstone out of the boy !"
"The Bears and the (footballing) Foxes for ever !"

Super Moderator

BristolBear wrote:

I might just be a sceptic, but as fantastic as that was. It terrifies me for later in the competition.

One of the great things about this site is the range of opinions expressed; and I realise that few people would mistake the average Bears fan for a ray of sunshine. But this is a very pessimistic view.

Super Moderator

I know that he's the man that we love to hate on here; but I have to say about Alex Davies that:

• he kept wicket well
  • he made some excellent bowling changes and sticking with the spinners even though the ball wasn't turning too much was a master-stroke
  • he batted really well

Great result and agreed, Davies was spot on today.

I know it was a bank holiday but that was a very impressive attendance today.

I'd suggest refraining from playing songs during the game that are played by football clubs..just a suggestion. Even as a Villa fan I don't want to hear footie chants at a cricket game

GerryShedd wrote:

BristolBear wrote:

One of the great things about this site is the range of opinions expressed; and I realise that few people would mistake the average Bears fan for a ray of sunshine. But this is a very pessimistic view.

I’d simply say it’s realistic based on 3 indisputable facts.
1) You can’t win the blast in May, and we have proven recent history of starting well then blowing it when it counts multiple times.
2) Our first 2 matches were against the worst two sides in the group, so you don’t exactly want to get carried away based on that.
3) Lancashire were just never at the races, as well as we bowled and fielded, they also played atrociously. Batted badly, fielded badly, were captained poorly, didn’t looked bothered. And they’re missing 2 world class T20 players in Salt and Butler, an England T20 bowler in Gleeson and a domestic run machine in Jennings.

I’d rather be pessimistic now and win the whole thing. Than pat ourselves on the back based on 3 pretty easy matches first up, to only go and blow it again when it matters.

Administrator

I see your point about not wanting to get too excited too early, but it’s been three whopping wins so far. Our team is also much stronger than it was last season, with three recruits (Maxwell, Moeen and Hassan Ali) who would make it into pretty much any T20 team anywhere in the world, so I think it’s reasonable to be optimistic at this point. I also think that Lancashire were never at the races because we played so well, so I think it’s a bit unfair to say that they were all easy matches. They had won their first three matches, after all.

Super Moderator

Every time I have a pessimistic thought about the Bears, I put a £1 coin in a jar.
It's currently half empty.

GerryShedd wrote:

I know that he's the man that we love to hate on here; but I have to say about Alex Davies that:

• he kept wicket well
  • he made some excellent bowling changes and sticking with the spinners even though the ball wasn't turning too much was a master-stroke
  • he batted really well

Agree with all of that. I think his spiky aggressiveness as captain, batter and wk might might well work for us in this format. Although a shame we couldn't see our way to retaining Michael Burgess purely as a batsman. I watched the live stream of Surrey v Sussex on Sunday and he was outstanding. I'm in the glass half full camp atm but long way to go.

We sit in the Scrivens stand upper next to the old scoreboard. Were we the only ones struggling to see anything on the main one at the pavilion end - not very bright and the glare made it worse? We ended up using Cricinfo on our phones to track the score it was so bad. And agree with the post farther down re some of the music. The one thing that really irritates me is the use of that silly "Wah wah wah waaah" sound effect when a catch is dropped or some other mistake is made by the opposition. I know it's meant to be a bit of fun but I think it's not very classy and a bit disrepectful.