Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk

Essex and Surrey have just announced that Dan Lawrence will be joining Surrey next season.

Starting to get a bit silly now. Any decent player that comes up just gets snapped up by Surrey.

Yeah ita getting a bit much now. Certain clubs like Surrey, and us to be fair, are relentless 'poachers'.

Super Moderator

Looks like there are a few players who may be on the move because their contracts are up:
https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/derbyshire-leus-du-plooy-middlesex-1382748
Leus du Plooy, Callum Parkinson and Colin Ackermann plus a whole load of Pears - Josh Tongue, Pat Brown, Ben Cox, Dillon Pennington and Mitchell Stanley.

That's a whole seam attack at Worcester!

Although I don't agree with 'bigger' clubs constantly snapping up players from 'smaller' clubs, i'm not sure how you necessarily prevent it and if we want to keep pace with Surrey, we should be looking at some of these players.

Super Moderator

Ex-Bear Chris Wright is, apparently, also leaving Leicestershire after turning down a new contract, though at age 37, maybe he is retiring.

Sussex, Chris Wright.

The Worcestershire situation strikes me as poor squad management. To have that many up for contracts at 1 time.

I believe Worcs are in a pretty hopeless situation financially.

Super Moderator

It's obvious that all is not well at Leicestershire:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/65988108

What is happening?

Super Moderator

The Telegraph reports that Josh Tongue will join Nottinghamshire.

Also "Pat Brown looks set to join Derbyshire, while Dillon Pennington has also held talks with other clubs, including Nottinghamshire. The young England Lions batsman Jack Haynes is also attracting interest."

Terrible shame all this. Starting to feel like football.

Super Moderator

Pat Brown now signed by Derbyshire.

Jack Haynes would be a useful addition to our middle order, we can't rely on Hain forever.

Worcestershire have just announced the signing of Tom Taylor. After losing all those players they definitely needed to replace them. This is the best of the three they have announced so far, a decent bowler and become very handy with the bat over the course of this season.

Andy, I wouldn't say we are 'Poachers', that would seem to be exclusively the preserve of Notts. What we did over the years is get players who were either unhappy where they were or or felt that they would get less chances of first team cricket. One way or another, this fits Chopra, Clarke, Rhodes, Ambrose, OHD, Wright and Sibley and I have maybe missed out others

Had to scroll back pretty far to find my poachers comment...and had to think back VERY far to some of those signings you mention some of them signed over 10 years ago, some almost 15 years ago!

Super Moderator

Mikkyk wrote:

Worcestershire have just announced the signing of Tom Taylor. After losing all those players they definitely needed to replace them. This is the best of the three they have announced so far, a decent bowler and become very handy with the bat over the course of this season.

It's rumoured that there may be a couple or so more signings by Worcestershire in the near future.

Any more making the short trip over from Warwicks?

Super Moderator

mad wrote:

Any more making the short trip over from Warwicks?

Not that I know of.