Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk
Super Moderator

Interesting that Andy Umeed is getting a chance with Worcestershire:
https://wccc.co.uk/andy-umeed-named-in-seconds-squad-for-barnt-green-encounter/
He undoubtedly has some talent though that hundred against Lancashire during the ill-fated day-night match was exceptionally boring. Anyway, good luck to him, though it looks like he may be spending a fair time waiting for play to begin.

It is good that he has got another chance. He took some time away from the game after leaving Warwickshire, so hopefully he's regained his desire for the game.

Super Moderator

More on Andy Umeed's contract with Somerset:
https://www.somersetcountycc.co.uk/news/first-xi/somerset-sign-andrew-umeed/
Are there any other counties that, like Somerset, are a bit fragile at the top of the order and could do with signing a solid, well-organised batter?

Na, he offers nothing in T20 and has a low strike rate in 4day cricket so he'd wouldn't fit in as one of 'Farbys Favourites'...

I'm peased he's got another chance in the first class game, hopefully he's a success at Somerset and has a long career with them.
He's also developing a career outside the game in top end property development and rentals.

Super Moderator

Good to see that Andy has scored a hundred for Somerset today.

Seems it was a bit quicker than his efforts for us!

Super Moderator

Yes, I had a dream that I was watching Andy blocking ball after ball against Lancashire, woke up and found that I was.

Always felt he was a bit unlucky, made a decent go of the opener role, ton on debut in 2016, thrown back in suddenly in 2017 after Westwood retirement, ton v Lancs and Anderson.

Then we signed Sibley and Rhodes who went straight in and we never really saw him again. Deserved more of a go.

172* today

The day he scored that very slow ton against Lancs and Jimmy Anderson etc was the same day we announced Will Rhodes had signed from Yorkshire. Rhodes has been superb overall to be fair but a sliding doors moment perhaps...

Imagine Umeed now with 4 years first class experience under his belt and the right age to go on to vice captain or even captain

See my previous post further up, I felt at the time he'd been hard done by.

Think possibly more a victim of circumstances. Club did the right thing responding to impending and inevitable relegation signing Sibley and Rhodes. Mind you I personally wouldn't have minded two/three seasons in the second division more outground cricket available etc...

I do think we're on a better track now with regards the youngsters though. Just look at Theo Wylie today saw him take seven wickets against Ireland u19's last week and now he tons up against the Aussies. My main worry with him is how much of him will we see if England have seen this from him this early??!??

Super Moderator

Every credit to him - he's resurrected his career and scored three hundreds in the Metro Bank competition.

Super Moderator

He may not have done much on his return to Edgbaston today; but congratulations on this:
https://www.somersetcountygazette.co.uk/sport/23814493.somerset-ccc-extend-andy-umeed-contract-2025/