Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk

GG appears to have joined the ranks of players out on loan by playing for Glamorgan seconds today.

Good luck to him. I don't think he has a future with the Bears.

Super Moderator

When he made his debut aged just 19, he seemed a great prospect. But I agree that his time is probably up with the Bears and I think he will be lucky to find another county - but good luck to him.
I remember interviewing him during his debut match and him telling me that he and Rob Yates were at university together and sharing a flat.

I suspect he doesn't have the requisite quality. Buy I also don't think l he's been given a fair shake. We sometimes give up on players too early.

Hope he does well whatever happens as he seems a really nice kid who always says hi.

Careers suffered due to covid maybe? He finished 2019 in a really good place then covid hit and those who he'd moved in front of seemed to automatically jump back in front of him after restarting.

Also he'd probably get more opportunities if we were in Div 2 which we were. I sort of see him as the natural in-house successor to OHD but we need him to really come through now perhaps it might be at another county a bit like when OHD left Yorkshire

He strikes me as a player who’d be playing regularly now had he come through somewhere like Sussex or Leicestershire. Smaller counties whose best players are often snapped up, and rely on producing a lot of their own talent.
But opportunities have been limited the last couple of years, but even when he has played he’s not really taken the chance and run with it.
Best of luck to him though.

Is playing for Kent 2s today.

There should be a vacancy at Worcester with Tongue, Pennington and Brown all departing.

George isn't doing much better for Kent. 12 overs, 0 for 53, so far.

'The only good banker, is the Lickey Banker!'

Super Moderator

George has signed for Kent:
https://www.kentonline.co.uk/canterbury/sport/seam-bowler-signs-for-kent-294626/

Very best of luck to him. He 'knows the division' he'd be a great signing for a newly promoted county I reckon (Kent maybe still finding their feet post COVID???) and especially a county that hasn't already got OHD and Rushworth on their books. I genuinely think he can be at that level. Lots of work for him to do mind. Just hope he doesn't do it to us... although I'd probably forgive him if he did

Terrific move for him. Said in a previous thread on here earlier this week that it just doesn't feel as though he's had a proper chance. Another academy lad leaves having not been been given a real go, it's not a great look for the club.

Super Moderator

Yes, good luck to him.

Kent always seem to be in total disarray in terms of injuries to seam bowlers so if he can stay fit he should be a decent opportunity.

I'd say it's not a great look for the sport rather than not a great look for Warks. This is where county cricket is in 2023. Far too many professional players emerging into the county pathway system from far too small a pool of schools. It's all rather slightly incestuous and if any of this extra funding and free to air 'dosh' from the otherwise nonsensical '4th format' comp is all it's cracked up to be - barriers should start to be beaten back by a tidal wave of state school educated players thriving in the pathway system from Sandwell and Coventry and inner city Brum. Not holding my breath however. Notts have been hammered for years about poaching players and now Warks are getting the same daggers. But it's merely a symptom of where the game is at. Worcestershire or Kent beating us next year with George or Ethan having good games IMHO would represent a real wake up call mind