Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk
Super Moderator

Preview from the Essex perspective:
https://www.essexcricket.org.uk/2023/06/24/match-preview-essex-v-warwickshire-4/

Super Moderator

Well spotted Andy, who said that Briggs was feeling his hamstring after the Worcestershire game. He's out but Dom Bess comes in on loan:
https://edgbaston.com/fixtures/first-xi/essex-vs-warwickshire-25-june-2023/#match-match-previews
There's no Woakes but Hasan Ali is still there. It seems like spin will be a big factor so maybe Dan Mousley the all-rounder will be to the fore.

13 man Squad:-
Rhodes
Hassan Ali
Barnard
Bess (!)
Bethell
Henry Brookes
Burgess
Davies
OHD
Lintott
Mousley
Rushworth
Yates

I wonder who will be left out - a spinner like Lintott, a seamer like Brookes (who has been pretty rubbish - for us - for a while now), or a batsman like Bethell ?

"You can take the boy out of Atherstone, but you can never take Atherstone out of the boy !"
"The Bears and the (footballing) Foxes for ever !"

Well that was an unexpected line up….5 spinning options, only one frontline pace option and two part timers.

A really strange looking side. Believe it or not, I was just on the BBC site to look at the 2 teams and Moeen Ali's name was there. I had to look again and then after 10 seconds, it disappeared and Dom Bess appeared. Pity we lost the toss with all those spin options.

Certainly an interesting side with 9 bowling options I make it.

Yes I initially saw Mo Ali which really confused me, changed now so it is actually two ‘proper’ pace options at least.

I had to look on here to see what was going on.

A couple of early wickets for the paceman as well.

Is OHD not fit? Will Norwell ever be fit?

I had to look on here to see what was going on.

A couple of early wickets for the paceman as well.

Is OHD not fit? Will Norwell ever be fit?

Bald_Reynard wrote:

Rhodes
Hassan Ali
Barnard
Bess (!)
Bethell
Henry Brookes
Burgess
Davies
OHD
Lintott
Mousley
Rushworth
Yates

I wonder who will be left out - a spinner like Lintott, a seamer like Brookes (who has been pretty rubbish - for us - for a while now), or a batsman like Bethell ?

"You can take the boy out of Atherstone, but you can never take Atherstone out of the boy !"

Bald_Reynard wrote:

Rhodes
Hassan Ali
Barnard
Bess (!)
Bethell
Henry Brookes
Burgess
Davies
OHD
Lintott
Mousley
Rushworth
Yates

Well I was a little bit right - 2 seamers - but I wouldn't have predicted OHD.

Those two early wickets seem a long time ago

Am I right in thinking that Lawrence is going off to the England squad (And be replaced by a sub batsman) but we are without Woakes who is not allowed to play part of this game and then be allowed to piss off. What the hell is going on with so-called 'Team England' who seem to be able to mess counties around left, right and centre.

I've been watching the women's Ashes. I assume the track at Essex is as flat as a pancake?

Tough day, clearly. Incredible we've walked off with 7 wickets, Essex gave us a couple of freebies.

Don't think we bowled well enough for long enough to exert any sort of pressure. Lintott is very much learning on the job in this format. Can't fault the effort though, they all kept running in.

Can't help but think Harmer will have a field day on this track, it's flat but there is also a bit of bounce and decent enough carry, it's very dry though.

Wish we'd have won the toss.

Harmer has had little success against us for a few games now so we should be confident about scoring off him. Even though his record is pretty superb over the last 6-7 years, I have never seen him bowl well so if he could just keep that up for this game it would be nice.

I keep forgetting it's the Kookaburra ball to be fair

My fear from what I saw of the track and what Robinson said pre-match, is the fourth innings.
Apparently it’s very dry, it’s also been used for an international ODI this year, so used and dry tends to suggest it’ll break up by day 4. And could be tough against Harmer on that.
So when batting in our first innings, got to try and take that out of the equation. Don’t let them have a lead of any kind. Ideally we polish them off early tomorrow. Turn the tables on them by batting long, getting a lead of 150. And seeing if our spinners can do some damage on day 4.

A hard day in the sun by the look of it! Is OHD injured? I have serious doubts that we will see Norwell his season........the club aren't giving out any details on his back condition.

I haven’t heard anything regarding OHD’s fitness. I assumed with a flat pitch and kookaburra ball that they knew they were going with 2 spinners.
Ali is perfect for this as a seamer, Rushworth is the form man. Extra seam overs from Barnard and Rhodes.