Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk
Super Moderator

He comes in for a two week loan period because Danny Briggs has a hamstring injury. This presumably means that he is available for the remaining T20 Group games.

T20 for Bess would be good. He looked the pick of the Yorkie bowlers on Thursday and no slouch with the bat.

"You can take the boy out of Atherstone, but you can never take Atherstone out of the boy !"
"The Bears and the (footballing) Foxes for ever !"

Welcome Dom, and go well.

Seems as though he's slipping down the pecking order at Yorks as they've loaned Dan Moriarty from Surrey and he's gone straight into their XI today.

Could Bess become a permanent deal?

There's a good cricketer in there but things haven't been going well for Bess. I was very impressed with him when he first appeared for Somerset. As Wikipedia will tell you, his first two CC wickets were Trott and Bell and they weren't caught on the boundary! He then got squeezed out of there as he was behind Jack Leach for a CC slot and Roelof van der Merwe for white ball games. Hence, he ended up at Yorkshire, which can't be the most relaxed of places to develop as a cricketer. He's still only 25 so, with some sympathetic coaching, he can come good again.

I think we all can appreciate that spinners tend to take a bit longer to really work out their game and how to find their role. 25 is pretty young for a spinner, and he clearly has talent.
But you put him up against Harmer like in this match, and he’s currently falling short.

Super Moderator

He clearly has ability; but I think that, in his early days, he was flattered by the spin-friendly conditions that existed then at Taunton.
I'm not sure how much the pitch deteriorated between days one and two at Chelmsford; but that was possibly a factor in the different results achieved by Bess and Harmer.
I think he may be more of an asset in the T20 games, where he is not much of a wicket-taker but bowls very economically, so a good substitute for Danny Briggs.

Super Moderator

Yorkshire coach Ottis Gibson says: "With regards to Bessy, he's still our player. When I told him he wasn't going to play this game, he asked to go on loan. But when his loan period finishes, he'll come back to us. He's been brilliant in the Blast [and] he is available for Friday night [against Lancashire]."
So we won't get Bess in the formula where he might be most useful. Let's hope that Danny Briggs is back soon.

Bess has gone on loan again. Back to Somerset this time. The lad just wants to play cricket.

Super Moderator

I think his move to Yorkshire was a big mistake - a bit like Josh Poysden a few years ago.