Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk

Game 3, at Neath.

Can we keep our 100% record going? Or will Glamorgan or the rain end it?

The forecast looks ok but then it's looked okay other days recently, and turned out not to be. Glamorgan's game at Neath today was abandoned without a ball bowled.

I think if Bethell is available having not played the last two Hundred games, I would bring him in to replace Brookes, with the news he is going to Worcestershire.

I'm not really sure how it all works with teams having get their own players back from the other comp.

Mikkyk wrote:

Game 3, at Neath.

Can we keep our 100% record going? Or will Glamorgan or the rain end it?

The forecast looks ok but then it's looked okay other days recently, and turned out not to be. Glamorgan's game at Neath today was abandoned without a ball bowled.

I think if Bethell is available having not played the last two Hundred games, I would bring him in to replace Brookes, with the news he is going to Worcestershire.

He didn't play the last game but game before was abandoned without ball being bowled- so not certain if that classifies as 'not playing the last two games?' He did play in the first match

It would be nice to get Bethall back but it's unlikely. Glamorgan will be a good test of our credentials in this competition.

At a glance a few Birmingham Phoenix games clash with our one day cup games so am I correct in assuming it's going to be harder to get the likes of Bethell and H Brookes released?

Super Moderator

Graham Smith previews the match:
https://deepextracover.com/2023/08/metro-bank-one-day-cup-group-b-glamorgan-v-warwickshire/
He's not exactly unbiased because his son is in the Glamorgan squad.
With the discussion of outgrounds, it will be interesting to see what everyone makes of Neath.

Of course, all those advocating the use of outgrounds will be taking the short drive down to South Wales to support the use of an outground!

From checking on Google maps, it looks like the ground has very limited parking, even for a club game without spectators, and very little shelter or seating.

Let's hope the wicket is better than Edgbaston for the last Championship game!

The conditions for release were quite difficult and it's loaded in favour of the 100 team. But it did seem we got Briggs back from Southern quite easily. Who knows what line Birmingham take with Bethell. If Mo Ali has taken his space and he needs cricket, it should be a good case.

Andy wrote:

At a glance a few Birmingham Phoenix games clash with our one day cup games so am I correct in assuming it's going to be harder to get the likes of Bethell and H Brookes released?

Super Moderator

From the Glamorgan site re conditions at Neath:
TRAVEL - There is no public car parking available at the ground. There are independent carparks located throughout the town.
The closest car park to the ground is the NEATH MSCP located at Prince of Wales Dr, Neath SA11 3BY. NEATH TRAIN STATION is also just a 5-10 minute walk away from the ground.
SEATING - Seating for all our home fixtures is unallocated, so you can choose your view of the action! Glamorgan will provide a large amount of seating at the ground, however, you can bring your own seating should you wish.
FOOD AND DRINK - A number of catering options will be available at food units around the ground. There will also be bar facilities serving alcoholic and soft drinks. Food and drink will be provided in partnership with NEATH ROUNDTABLE.
PLEASE DRINK RESPONSIBLY - We will not admit those who are visibly drunk and we have breathalysers in place to check.

I like the last bit about being potentially breathalysed in order to get into the ground.

GerryShedd wrote:

From the Glamorgan site re conditions at Neath:
TRAVEL - There is no public car parking available at the ground. There are independent carparks located throughout the town.
The closest car park to the ground is the NEATH MSCP located at Prince of Wales Dr, Neath SA11 3BY. NEATH TRAIN STATION is also just a 5-10 minute walk away from the ground.
SEATING - Seating for all our home fixtures is unallocated, so you can choose your view of the action! Glamorgan will provide a large amount of seating at the ground, however, you can bring your own seating should you wish.
FOOD AND DRINK - A number of catering options will be available at food units around the ground. There will also be bar facilities serving alcoholic and soft drinks. Food and drink will be provided in partnership with NEATH ROUNDTABLE.
PLEASE DRINK RESPONSIBLY - We will not admit those who are visibly drunk and we have breathalysers in place to check.

I like the last bit about being potentially breathalysed in order to get into the ground.

I bet the car park costs as much as the entrance fee for the match!!

Super Moderator

Preview here from the Club - Danny Briggs not available:
https://edgbaston.com/fixtures/first-xi/glamorgan-vs-warwickshire-10-august-2023/#match-match-previews
Mark Robinson likes out grounds!
“I love playing at out grounds…these types of matches were far more common in my playing days. It helps you connect with communities, we’ll be close to the crowd, players can interact with them, and a crowd of 800 or so can feel like 10,000 as they’ll be on top of you!"

Sounds like he's keen on Michael Booth.

He's also predicting tough teats ahead. Not sure what we're getting into.

Haha!

What happened to the comeback of the lesser spotted Liam Norwell?

postponed till 2024 or 25 he's aiming to exceed Boyd Rankin's percentage of days unavailable during his contract period!

Booth is in. Team:-
Yates
Barnard
Burgess
Rhodes
Shaikh
Smith
Ethan Brookes
Booth
Lintott
Miles
OHD

Glamorgan won the toss and put us in.

"You can take the boy out of Atherstone, but you can never take Atherstone out of the boy !"
"The Bears and the (footballing) Foxes for ever !"

What do we know about Michael Booth? Cricinfo has him as right arm fast, which would be good, south african (surely England qualified and not overseas?) but seems like better recent batting figures than bowling??

It's an interesting one. At first glance he doesn't seem to have much of a record behind him for a 22 year old. I know he's played a little bit for the 2's but I can't recall his name cropping up too much this season.

Has he been playing Birmingham League? I haven't been aware of him but so many games have rained off...