OHD
Lintott
Miles
Shaikh
Smith
Yates

Anyone know much about Ali?

From August 2020.
Absolutely fantastic news that Attock’s young leg spinner Tazeem Ali has been selected in the squad to play for Warwickshire 2nd XI today at the age of just 14. Definitely a player to keep your eye on, we wish him all the best this week playing at Edgbaston.

I think he bowled and fielded in several days of what was then this 3-day second eleven Championship match and may have played more than one match that season pity it was behind closed doors

He's come through the age groups alongside Hamza, Amir, George Maddy etc... from at least the under 12's

Taz Ali has been a consistent performer in the age group sides for quite a while now as far as I can tell. Has regularly played above his age too.

I've umpired him several times over the last few seasons. He's good, not not sure if he's county first team good at this stage. He's 17 now and playing for Smethwick.

Super Moderator

Surprised with the slightly doubtful forecast that Derbyshire have decided to bat.

A debut for Tazeem Ali. Bethell and H Brookes in. Smith, Booth and Miles make way.

I love Derbyshire's kit!

Happy with our bowlers, OHD is OHD and the spinners accounted for over half the overs so assume its a bit of a turner.

Super Moderator

Yes, Yates turned it a lot.

Super Moderator

Has anyone taken a wicket for Warwickshire at a younger age than Tazeem?

GerryShedd wrote:

Has anyone taken a wicket for Warwickshire at a younger age than Tazeem?

Warwick Tidy was also 17 when he debuted for WCCC so we're into counting days.
I suggest you ask Terry 😏

Ali is younger than Tidy was by about 4 months

Administrator

That’s a poor LBW decision for Burgess.

Exiled Bear wrote:

Appalling, wouldn't have hit an extra set.

Exiled Bear wrote:

RoyMcC wrote:

Exiled Bear wrote:

Agreed !!

'Poor', you are being kind, it was atrocious. It's not as if the bowler was leaping about like a salmon wildly appealing. I would be ashamed as a bowler, to even ask for that.

Same umpire's got Bethell - looks to me a bit dodgy. I get the impression if it hits the pads it's out. One or two in the Derby innings looked generous for us

There was some appalling umpiring, about the worst overall umpiring performance I’ve seen, you know it’s bad when the commentators aren’t shying away from it. Burgess’ was probably the worst of the lot, nothing about it looked out. I suspect Burgess will get a fine as he was clearly having words with the umpire as he walked off.

But a few others on both sides were clearly very unhappy about some dubious looking decisions. Even weirder there were a couple of absolutely plumb ones like off Lintotts bowling that weren’t given.

The umpiring in county cricket has been shambolic the past couple of seasons.

Could have been a tricky little chase today, we did well. That pitch was really gripping and turning. We did well to restrict Derbyshire to 247, looked as though they might get a few more at one point and they have some batters in form. OHD continues to excel, HBrookes showed some nice variations. Taz Ali was incredible I thought when you consider how inexperienced. Rhodes top scorer, looked confident but how good was Jacob Bethell's innings?! Timed everything, what a prospect. This is why I'm not keen to see us recruiting from outside, we have a good crop of youngsters coming through here, we should continue to back them and provide pathways into the 1st XI.

5 wins from 5 when you consider the players we have unavailable due to the Blundread and injuries is remarkable.