Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk

I see Billy Godleman is opening the batting for the Seconds. Has he been released by Derbyshire?

'The only good banker, is the Lickey Banker!'

Live scores etc link https://live.nvplay.com/ecb/?tab=m_scorecard#m2b35fd02-36f0-4367-8dff-88a1dc556d57

A very different 2nd team, with lots of non contracted players.

Super Moderator

With Mustard on one side and Garlick on the other, it should be a tasty encounter.

Encouraging half century from Kai Smith to get the seconds out of a hole but then he holes out to deep backward square.

Durhams keeper Hayden Mustard on 12th man duties walked round earlier sporting a proper shiner took a blow in the warm ups and had to go for an x-ray this morning

Why are Durham seemingly able to produce so many properly quick bowlers

And why do we produce so few?!

We've brought some decent homegrown batters through fairly consistently and now we seem to have some keepers and a couple of spinners. Seamers/quick bowlers though? We don't bring many through. Woakes aside who was the last academy seamer to take 100 first class wickets for Warwickshire? Naqaash Tahir? I'm potentially missing someone obvious. We've had a few with potential go by the wayside Tom Milnes, Recordo Gordon etc and it would appear Johal and Garrett are going the same way.

Tea on day 2.
Halfway stage of the match
Durham 357
Warks 278

See how Milo, Booth, Haydon (who I like the look of) get on now against Durham 2's likely playing Bazball for a session

Andy wrote:

And why do we produce so few?!

We've brought some decent homegrown batters through fairly consistently and now we seem to have some keepers and a couple of spinners. Seamers/quick bowlers though? We don't bring many through. Woakes aside who was the last academy seamer to take 100 first class wickets for Warwickshire? Naqaash Tahir? I'm potentially missing someone obvious. We've had a few with potential go by the wayside Tom Milnes, Recordo Gordon etc and it would appear Johal and Garrett are going the same way.

I’d argue it’s all positions, not just bowlers, when we compare to other counties.

Of our squad now, who’ll be there next year and play for us: Yates, Mousley, Bethell, Brookes and you could probably claim Hain as home grown. And that’s ok, but I’d expect more than 5, and of that 5 there’s one genuine top performer, 2 have done well but we’re yet to see the best of, and 2 who are talked about a lot in terms of potential but yet to meet those expectations.
For whatever reason we’re not consistently producing top talent to first team level for Warwickshire of the same quality or quantity that other counties are. Look at Surrey, Lancs, Somerset, Worcestershire, Durham.

What’s going to happen over the next couple of years with the likes of Bethell, Shaikh, Khan, Wylie, Smith, Johal, Simmons, will be interesting.

Jakob Bhula is an ex-NZ U19 player released by Wellington in the Spring. He's been playing in the Herts Cricket League.

No I definitely agree, you can look at Essex and Yorkshire too. I was just responding to the post about Durham producing quicks and relating it to how we don't.

We normally have several batters in our XI who have come through the academy, we've improved a lot there. 3 out of the top 5, Yates, Hain and Mousley sometimes Bethell (Lamb in previous seasons) have been academy products. We've got 3 keepers in the academy at the moment who all have a decent chance I feel in Maddy, Smith and Dandy (I think he could be the pick) and we have spinners in Wylie and Taz Ali who have shown some encouraging signs.

I feel we're a little light on seamers though and that's been the case for a long, long time now.

A far better day for Bears today. Excellent from behind win secured just after 5.30. A fine unbeaten century from Nikhil Gorantla backed up by a gritty 50 from Godleman and Ethan Brookes upping the tempo with 47