Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk

Any changes?

Yates is back, still no Davies.

Super Moderator

Northants seem to have a load of injury problems but have recruited a Test triple centurion:
https://nccc.co.uk/news/squad-update-ahead-of-warwickshire-clash/

Yates and Miles for Benjamin and Brookes seems fair enough. Bowling I assume because of weather.

Weather caught me out, yesterday it looked awful so decided I probably wouldn't go. This mornings forecast was completely different but had already got into 'Not Going' mode. Good start though.

Super Moderator

Maybe you got the weather right after all. Raining now.

Restart at 2pm. Its incredibly muggy here.

Umpires and groundsman having a good chat..no idea about what, certainly could be getting ready to play.

The amount of faffing every rain break

Not sure how we only got 5 wickets. Thought we bowled well for the most part.
So many balls going past the edge, some dubious leaves, countless play and misses. Always stayed on top of the run rate, just needed something to go our way.

Good day of cricket, some good bowling and some determined batting

Hopefully not too many delays tomorrow as Tuesday isn't looking great

Super Moderator

I agree with the above comments. Some of the early bowling was too good (or the batters were not good enough to get an edge).
OH-D as usual was outstanding.

Super Moderator

Here's my report of the day:
https://deepextracover.com/2023/09/lv-county-championship-warwickshire-v-northants/

7-46 just outstanding, relentless, pressure bowling. Absolute joy to watch.

I remember when he arrived at Edgbaston and many supporters were wondering why we had signed him !!! A lot of humble pie has been eaten over the years!!!

It's a message for not giving up on players, he was a pretty average, maybe even below average bowler from when he signed up until around 2019, he had his moments but they were few and far between, (he was very close to being released around 2015) then he just took off. It didn't really click for him until he was about 29 and he remodelled his action. Last 3 seasons particularly he's been sensational.

OH-D: In the first ten years of his career he took 109 first class wickets at an average of 38 and was very lucky to still have a contract. In the next five and a bit, he's taken 205 wickets at 23 and is an automatic first choice. Was this Pop Welch's doing?

I'd say so. The remodelling of his action seemed to take place around the time of his 2nd stint here as bowling coach. When you watch footage of OHD from 2014-2016 and compare it to 2019 to now his bowling action is totally different.

UrsaMinor wrote:

OH-D: In the first ten years of his career he took 109 first class wickets at an average of 38 and was very lucky to still have a contract. In the next five and a bit, he's taken 205 wickets at 23 and is an automatic first choice. Was this Pop Welch's doing?

That is quite an incredible set of figures

UrsaMinor wrote:

Yes, as Andy says, Pop took OHD on in his second stint as Bowling Coach. I remember an interview he gave at the time, saying that Olly needed to remodel his action and he worked with him all one close season and sorted something out.

What an advert for a bowler who perseveres to get things right - but probably more importantly, a Coach who knows what he's doing. It's a travesty, if the rumours about Welch wanting to go, are because of the relationship he had with First Team Coach. Robinson (and to a certain extent, Farbrace, for putting up with it), could have a lot to answer for !

"You can take the boy out of Atherstone, but you can never take Atherstone out of the boy !"
"The Bears and the (footballing) Foxes for ever !"

There was a certain confidence to his bowling around this time. His pace upped considerably and he swung the ball a lot more and as we all know, extra pace with swing will get you a hell of a lot more wickets. When we first drafted him in from Yorkshire, having seen him, I didn't think it was a good move. I did also wonder about our recruitment when we got Jeetan. Please can someone never recommend me to hunt for future Warwickshire players.