Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk
Super Moderator

From The Cricketer:

"Fans of the County Championship are set to be disappointed by the look of next year's schedule, meanwhile. There will not be many four-day matches in the heart of summer again.
The problem is that the T20 World Cup in the Caribbean and the USA takes up all but three days of June.
Therefore schedulers are planning to sandwich the Blast either side of The Hundred. In a switch from this year's model of playing the entire tournament in an eight-week block, the Blast group stage will be played before The Hundred begins, with the quarter-finals (probably) and Finals Day (definitely) returning to September.
The One-Day Cup will again be played alongside The Hundred, with the final at Trent Bridge on either September 7 or 28. This year there were two Championship rounds in June, and three in July, a distinct improvement on previous years. Red-ball fans will pray 2025 sees a return to that."

The schedule this season has been terrible, not just for supporters but for players too. There's been a lot of bowlers pulling up injured and they're putting it down to the start-stop schedule early season.
I can see big changes coming in 2025, there's a push from some chairmen to adopt the 3 league conference system again, which, I think, will lead eventually to the number of championship games being reduced to ten. I hope that doesn't happen, but change is coming, and not necessarily for the best as far as us supporters are concerned.

I know this isn't the point but having the T20 world cup every two years devalues the competition.

It being every two years then has a knock on effect to the county schedule.

Every two years is simply a money grabbing exercise. World cups in every sport are all based on a 4 year cycle.

According to reports from a members forum at Surrey 2 weeks ago it was confirmed there will be Championship cricket in early July and late August and rumours of none are incorrect

Still not ideal but better than had feared based on The Cricketer/Torygraph reports

The Blast group stage ends July 15th and is more appointment to view in 2024

Alec Stewart was speaking on 5 live sports extra at lunchtime and one of the things he suggested was;
"all the chat is that 2025-2028 will be the same as 2024"
Whilst we will welcome a period of relative calm lets hope they get it right or at least don't mess things up too much more for 2024

Blast groups June and July and the knockout games in September I think is the main change that appears to be baked in till 2028

The Torygraph speculates this:

The season’s structure will be approximately as follows:

• April and May: two months of County Championship
  • June: first bank of Blast action, followed by two rounds of Championship
  • July: completion of Blast groups, followed by the start of Hundred and One-Day Cup
  • August: Hundred runs until August 18. ODC runs alongside. One round of Championship at end of month
  • September: Blast knockouts; ODC final; completion of Championship

Link: [https://web.archive.org/web/20230913124516/https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2023/09/01/county-championship-will-be-shunted-to-margins-of-summer/]

Seems to fit with Blast Off being announced for 1 June.

Absolutely no mention of the Charlotte Edwards Cup or the Rachael Heyhoe Flint Trophy. It's like the women's teams don't exist. They really need to do better at press releases, especially following the ICEC report.

I know many of you loathe the competition, but I'm pleased that The Hundred finishes around 18 August, because my daughter loves it and we've already booked to go on holiday from the 18th. She missed most of it this year due to being away, so hope she can get to most of the Phoenix games next year.

No fan of the comp but so long as they keep it to three and a bit weeks then I can tolerate it. I do think they should allow non hosting counties the opportunity to play some CC cricket while it's on though and release more players to play for their counties whilst it is on. Glad your daughter is enjoying the atmosphere at Edgbaston it really is a terrific stadium for events such as that and the ground staff really do try their best and are to be credited each and every time I go there for the county stuff even when there's below 1,000 there like today