Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk
Super Moderator

Starting off with a backwards look at the away fixture - it's a pity that this work wasn't done in the last close season:
https://www.somersetcountygazette.co.uk/sport/23810059.somerset-ccc-undergo-outfield-renovation-county-ground/

You would also think they would start this work just one week later!!

I looked out of the window this morning at the dew and mist and its unbelievable cricket matches are taking place at this time of year.

Add to that there's a storm on the way on Wednesday.

So another crucial toss coming up and if we win it I have every confidence weather permitting.

They clearly never learn, the drainage issue at the start of this season was caused by work they carried out too late last year.
A Somerset friend of mine said they dug up part of the outfield, but took too long or did it too late, so when they relaid the turf and sowed the grass seed, the grass didn’t take and grow properly. And that’s why it was so sandy and drainage so poor in that specific part of the field for our match at the start of the year.

They were very lucky they didn't get in some serious bother over all that. Total shambles.

Super Moderator

Team news from both sides:
https://edgbaston.com/fixtures/first-xi/warwickshire-vs-somerset-26-september-2023/#match-match-previews
https://somersetcountycc.co.uk/news/first-xi/county-championship-preview-warwickshire-v-somerset/

well 1030 start now becoming academic but I think I would still bowl as the challenge will be to get 20 wickets to win in a weather affected match.

Inspection at 1.10

Lovely sunshine now..so we're just going to sit around for likely 3 hrs..how strange.

Still a delay, after the Inspection, but play is due to start soon.
We're unchanged from the Middlesex game.
Somerset won the toss and chose to bat. Andy Umeed playing for them.

'The only good banker, is the Lickey Banker!'

24-4, looks like a good toss to lose!

I do believe sometimes teams get caught up in thinking too much about hypotheticals, potential scenarios, and the forecast. Instead of just deciding to do the obvious best thing in terms of the current weather and state of the pitch.

Solbear wrote:

24-4, looks like a good toss to lose!

I did say I'd bowl.

No doubt we will get the usual suspects saying what great carry and what a good pitch but it looks the usual surface for Edgbaston this season.

Do think we’ve bowled well though. Some good balls keeping up pressure, aided by 2 shocking leaves.

We've bowled well but I do miss a battle between bat and ball..very few sessions this season where we've seen that.

Let's hope we get a few when we bat !

Hope Gregory doesn't settle, he's give us gip before...

Administrator

50 wickets for Rushworth this season, what a great signing he’s been.

I’ve not been following properly as I’ve been out but last time I checked they were just over 100-8 and at close its a lot higher. What happened?

Warner played a genuinely brilliant knock. Such clean hitting.

Some really positive batting from the tail enders, Wagner was very impressive. Always been a fan of his, would like him as our overseas for next year.

Not sure the bowling was that bad, notice we are a very quiet side, bit of pumping each other up might have kept the momentum going.

At least this will waste a bit of time before we bat tomorrow.