Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk

Live Scores link
https://live.nvplay.com/ecb/#m594715f7-920b-4e74-9ca2-f5b2a5ac71f5

Start is delayed due to wet ground!

Are we expecting anybody who has been in the 1st XI to feature in this? Or just the usual 2's guys?

Possibly Dom Sibley for the first two days, Wednesday will be a travel day before the game at Chelmsford.

No play today.

Ground Delay (10:46 to 12:30): Pre Start - wet outfield
Lunch (12:30 to 13:10): Pre Start
Ground Delay (13:10 to 13:49): Pre Start
End of Day (13:49): Following further rain - toss to be done - weather permitting at 11:00 on Day 2

N'hants won toss and elected to Bowl.

WARWICKSHIRE 2ND XI
DP Sibley, DR Mousley, MJ Lamb, AJ Hose, JG Bethell, EA Brookes, AT Thomson, CG Benjamin†, HJH Brookes, CB Simmons, GA Garrett, RN Sidebottom
NORTHAMPTONSHIRE 2ND XI
BJ Curran, EN Gay, CO Thurston, JJ Cobb
, RE Levi, HOM Gouldstone†, AS Basra, J Watson, AH Miller, NL Buck, CJ White, BD Glover

https://www.espncricinfo.com/player/chris-benjamin-1149157 A South African born keeper who has played for Essex 2nd xi and Durham Uni

Interesting no Pollock this time, but Alex Thomson is back. The new keeper, seems to have not scored runs anywhere. Suggests the end for Dan Lincolns trial I suspect.

No Sidebottom, no Johal either. Lamb and Sibley will play today only surely?

Yes, I'd expect both to travel to Chelmsford tomorrow with Pollock coming into the side.
The fact we are trying another wicketkeeper does suggest that Kelly is not seen as a long term solution for the position.

BristolBear wrote:

Interesting no Pollock this time, but Alex Thomson is back. The new keeper, seems to have not scored runs anywhere. Suggests the end for Dan Lincolns trial I suspect.

Yeah, Dan Lincoln seems to have blown his chance with us. Some runs in his first game, but I don't think he has taken any catches (or stumpings) in 4 matches for us.

The new guy - Chris Benjamin is another young (22 year old) South African (I don't know his nationality status, whether he has a UK passport like van Vollenhoven). He's over here at University (Durham) and has played a couple of times for Durham MCCU (top score - 18 !) and Derby 2nd's once this season (top score - 29) - but has not kept wicket in those games ! Before this season, he has played as a Keeper for Cambridge Cricket Club for a couple of years (without much batting distinction). He also played for Essex 2nd's in 2019 - but again, not as a Wicket Keeper ! Seems a strange choice for a trial, especially as we had another Wicket Keeper / Batsman on trial for a couple of 2nd's games in April - Ben Wells (from Somerset, who was a regular keeper in their 2nd's) - who didn't keep wicket for us, but did quite well with the bat !

'The only good banker, is the Lickey Banker!'

Highveld wrote:

Yes, I'd expect both to travel to Chelmsford tomorrow with Pollock coming into the side.
The fact we are trying another wicketkeeper does suggest that Kelly is not seen as a long term solution for the position.

Yep, I think it's clear that Kelley is not seen as a future 1st teamer. By all accounts (I've not seen him), very decent behind the stumps, but no batting pedigree or potential - regularly going in at anything between 7 and 10 !

Che Simmons is also playing in the Northants game. An 18 year old Barbadian seamer, who is in the West Indies Rising Stars squad.

I wonder what's happened to van Vollenhoven - he did pretty well in the one game he played for us and I would have expected to see him back in the team.

A bit off piste but it doesn't look as if Josh Poysden is getting many outings with Yorkshire and I can't help wondering whether he really has much of a future there. Be disappointed if that was the case, always liked him when he was with us and hoped he'd go onto better things.

Super Moderator

Solbear wrote:

I wonder what's happened to van Vollenhoven - he did pretty well in the one game he played for us and I would have expected to see him back in the team.

A bit off piste but it doesn't look as if Josh Poysden is getting many outings with Yorkshire and I can't help wondering whether he really has much of a future there. Be disappointed if that was the case, always liked him when he was with us and hoped he'd go onto better things.

Yes, I really liked Josh Poysden both as a player and as a character. I interviewed him right at the start of his Bears career and was very impressed with his attitude and his commitment to his cricket. I just hope that he will get his chance in white ball cricket later this season, otherwise, as you say, his Yorkshire career may come to an end without ever really taking off.

Match abandoned at 2:43pm, presumably the outfield was two wet to get any meaningful play in the remaining days.