Warwickshire CCC unofficial fans forum
bearsfans.org.uk
Super Moderator

Here's my season review:
https://deepextracover.com/2023/10/season-review-warwickshire/
As usual, happy to accept (constructive!) criticism.

A very fair assessment, although my overall score was not as generous as yours! As you said, we really do need to get a quality OSP who can ideally stick around for most, if not all, of the summer. It's been hard to keep on top of the merry go round of players coming and going over recent years, with few sticking in the memory for the right reasons. Hasan Ali was an obvious exception to that rule but as Pakistan are touring next year I suspect we will not get him, or at least if we do it will only be for part of the summer.

Even worse than the poor record of the overseas players was probably the largest signing made by Robinson, and the fact that all 3 of 4 full county caps given out this season were to players whos contribution to the club did not deserve the honour.
Ed Barnard deserved to be capped, but wasn't.

Wouldn't disagree with any of that Mr Shedd. Just one question: as the photo of Ed Barnard at Taunton must have been taken during the first match of the season, had you already made your mind up or did you take everybody's photo?

Administrator

Highveld wrote:

Even worse than the poor record of the overseas players was probably the largest signing made by Robinson, and the fact that all 3 full county caps given out this season were to players whos contribution to the club did not deserve the honour.

You don’t think that Rushworth deserved to be capped?

Sorry 3 of the 4, As he was capped on the last morning I'd forgotten about him getting the honour.

Super Moderator

UrsaMinor wrote:

Wouldn't disagree with any of that Mr Shedd. Just one question: as the photo of Ed Barnard at Taunton must have been taken during the first match of the season, had you already made your mind up or did you take everybody's photo?

I'd like to say that I had the foresight to know what would happen; but the truth is that my colleague Harry Everett (who also does some of the Somerset on-line commentary) took the picture and allowed me to use it.

Yes very fair assessment if I was being mean I'd probably go 6.5 out of 10 overall but I think after the issues last season 7 is very fair indeed.

Yeah fair enough. If I can be picky (really picky, sorry!) I'm not sure I'd be calling Drakes a disappointment, seems harsh.

Highveld wrote:

Even worse than the poor record of the overseas players was probably the largest signing made by Robinson, and the fact that all 3 of 4 full county caps given out this season were to players whos contribution to the club did not deserve the honour.

Yeah it's wild when you think that Davies is capped but Barnard isn't.

Thanks Gerry

Good and very fair review. 7/10 out of 10 for the season seems about right to me.

7/10 seems fair. I think if there are any similar failings next year in terms of 'crunch matches' the season gets judged more harshly.

I do also think if Hasan Ali wasn't recalled to (and not played in) the Pakistan squad we could be looking at an 8+ out of 10 season! The overseas player is hard to get right, so personally I would focus on getting the home-grown players right first, and using OSP as a supplement.

Mousley's bowling was a revelation, his batting regressed! If he can be the batter he was in 2022 I have high hopes for next season.

Quite a strange season. Second most successful team but failing to win a knock out match or finish in top 3 of CC is quite bizarre. A very interesting report on the season, thanks Terry.
I agree with others regarding overseas players - they have to be better than who it is they will replace and we need to ensure as much as possible they will be here for most of the season

7/10 is definitely fair.
Almost but not quite sums up a lot of the players too.
Plenty had good moments without having a great season. We just lacked that something, whether it was a bit of luck, a key moment, or a difference maker on our side that would have taken a good season to a great season.

Think the top 3 really needs looking at for next year. Far too often we were 3 down inside 10/15 overs or the power play . Tough to win any competition like that.